1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid and diesel vehicle sales are on the rise

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While traditionally-powered vehicles continue to dominate in the United States, hybrid and diesel vehicles keep gaining more and more market shares. Major debates and issues such as rising fuel costs, global warming and technological advancements explain this growing interest for alternative powertrains.

In fact, hybrid vehicles are expected to reach a 9-percent market share in 2009, with Toyota maintaining its leadership. By the way, it should be noted that more than 70 percent of all hybrid vehicles manufactured over the last two years are Toyotas. By 2009, company executives project that their market share will drop to about 50 percent, mainly because of the assault of other automakers in this field.

Likewise, diesel technology seems to be naturally finding its place in Uncle Sam's land. Diesel-powered vehicles generally burn 30 percent less fuel than their regular counterparts. What's more, manufacturers have considerably improved their emission levels, quietness and quality.

Source: Auto123.com

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What was the percentage of hybrid cars by 2010ish by the experts just a year or so ago? Wasn't it like 5%?

Probably about 10% of cars by 2010. Not bad, but I would be hoping for 15-20% as gas prices continue to go up and the new EPA estimates come out (lots of people will realize a more realistic estimate of their mileage).

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I know a lot of people around me are starting to take notice about hybrid vehicles. I know a few who do really want one and out of those few, they wished it was more affordable.

4. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Apr 3 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]417405[/snapback]</div>
    Wait until the Brits invade Iran. You will see your 15-20%.

5. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 4 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]417462[/snapback]</div>
    I get a kick out of that when I hear fellow students say something along the lines of "your car is really expensive" then I point out the base price, the average price of a new vehicle or a comparison to another car (usually Camry).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Apr 4 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]417491[/snapback]</div>

Down with the Axis of Evil! I am betting though that it won't take a major crisis, but more a steady increase in gas prices. They have already ran several stories about the high price of gas when it was just a little over $2.50 a couple of weeks ago.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Apr 4 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]417505[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in California, my last fillup before on Saturday was $3.339 a gallon for 87 octane unleaded regular.

It's back up to $2.899 here in Cheney.

Dave M.