1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Assistat showing blank map

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by sylvaing, Jan 2, 2024.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't get Hybrid Assistant to show a map. See screenshot

Screenshot_20240102-234650.png

Anything I can do to solve this? Thanks.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If anyone is interested, I got this reply from them

Open street view has stopped providing services to free users.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's a link to start you off
    OpenStreetMap

why some open source projects are reducing service to proprietary apps is beyond the scope of my post.
    there are apps that may intigate with HA at google play or the app story but that is also beyond the scope of the post.
    I sincerely hope that this may make some sense, beyond \the response form the HA support team.

4. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, but I fail to see how a link to OpenStreetMap can help. I already have an account with them (I've suggested road info changes in the past).

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    who are you interested in helping? opensteetmaps , HA or yourself?
    The response from HA support was pretty clear to me.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking that link would be a link to the announcement of some policy change ... but it just seems to be a link to a map, no?

sylvaing likes this.
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    hey ya win some and ya lose some. I was curious about HA and openstreetmaps too.

8. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would be nice if you could input your credentials to OpenStreetMap in HA so it's now a user access, not anonymous.

I do something similar in the app I made for a Garmin watch and a Tesla vehicle. Tesla has/in the process of shutting down the undocumented and free access to their API. Instead of simply abandoning, I pivoted to Tessie API, which means the users must now get an account there and the watch can still control the vehicle.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So have you got a link to OpenStreetMaps policies for this stuff? I spent a few minutes looking yesterday but came up empty.

10. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, like I said, I just wish Hybrid Assistant would allow us to authenticate OpenStreetMap so we could use our own account instead of being anonymous. Which is something I asked them but never got a reply to that one :(

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Without seeing anything from OpenStreetMap about what their policies are, do we even think that's what would work?

12. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found this on their site

"Heavy use (e.g. distributing a heavy-usage app that uses tiles from openstreetmap.org) is forbidden without prior permission from the Operations Working Group. See below for alternatives"

I guess Hybrid Assistant didn't get permission. I'm surprised HA is considered "heavy use". It's just the Reporter that uses the map. Does it really hammer their servers that much?

There is this section at the end of the page called "Alternative OpenStreetMap Tile Providers" with a paid one that I believe they could leverage and if they wish. They could set up their own OSM server.

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    None
    I rarely use either HA or Openstreetmaps
    Now that I have a clue what your OP was about here's a link for others seeing this thread. Should I assume you've already been to this OSM page?
    OpenStreetMap Wiki

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing wrong with a generic link to the top of the wiki, but the link posted in #12 is probably more directly on point. I'll see if I can repost it here more directly, as the forum software did some odd proxy thing to it in #12:

Tile Usage Policy

It might be that, without a little bit of network tracing, we don't know exactly which of those rules HA might be running afoul of (if, indeed, that's what's happening).

15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    apps are apps the dev are dev however they want to publish and support their work. sdk s keep changing with each new release as do the rules to get an app approved, especially for app store. Not that play store doesn't change their rules for publication of app but I've never heard ( not yet anyways ) an android app dev complain about having to pay to get an app approved.

16. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a hard time following your responses in this thread. Some don't seem to follow any of the discussions here.

But to answer "dev are dev however they want to publish and support their work", I'm also a dev (but not on the Play or App Store) and inputs from users are important to me. That's what help me determine what might be included in the next release of my apps.

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I realize it's hard to follow. It's even more complicated when discussing proprietary works and their licensing constraints. Than trying to understand how HA might interface with openstreetmaps the way you'd like to be able to set it up inside your HA app. Now there are 3 different licenses that have to work together. And that can be a lot of extra work for little to no gain, especially if having a small team.

18. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not about rewriting the whole thing, but switching from one web API to another. I did that for my Tesla app (Tesla API to Tessie API) in one evening and there were over 28 different API calls that needed to be rewritten (all different commands sent to the car as well as calls to retrieve different stats from the car) running in the foreground and some running in a background process (so twice the calls for some API calls). I don't know how HA is written but they already switched from Google to OSM so I would assume there is some modularity there. In this case, it's still OSM but through a different server.

19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My impression? as a non dev and what I understand about OSM is that you'd like to add a feature of policy to HA so you can rewrite the current HA anonymous credential(s) to OSM that will support a profile ( either the one already on your ( phone, tab, watch ) or one you fill in ad hoc to support the interface between HA and OSM.
    I did read you mention you could run your own OSM server. Not a trivial task, but sometimes, especially with opensouce projects it becomes necessary to get a feel for how the connections to the servers are handled, along with all the other trivial and non trivial issues that a project faces and are completely unknown to most users.
    I'm not suggesting that running an OSM server is what you'd want to do. I wouldn't want to either. But in my understanding, creating a policy for HA to authenticate a personal profile on the OSM server(s) is a lot of work that is going to need a good understanding of cert exchange and attention to specific policy changes that can be / are changed on the OSM side of things.

#19 vvillovv, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024