1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid automotive charger / discharger usage for battery balancing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vendingtech, Sep 24, 2019.

1. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looking for some feedback. I have both the round charger and the white discharger for the gen3 Prius. I have replaced 2 bad cells in my pack and am trying to properly balance my pack. I am attempting to follow their directions but I have some concerns with the battery charger. Are there concerns with leaving it unattended overnight. I have it in the charge cycle. It's ran for about 7 hours and it's finally at 240 then it crept to 241 then it would flop between 242 and about 10 sec back to 241 then 10-15 back to 242 etc. It's come to the point I need to leave for 8 hours and I'm concerned with leaving the charger on and over charging and blowing up my battery. Can anyone provide some feedback on procedures here and if there is concern for damage to the pack is it reaches it's full full point and it runs for another 2-6 hours before it's touched again? The charger will not auto off correct.

I reached out to hybrid auto and want to hear from everyone here while waiting as I'm back to using it when I get home tonight.

Thank You

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which brand do you have? I believe the Prolong system, depending on which you have, will charge, then discharge
    on it's own. Unless you have the manual one that uses light bulbs.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I routinely charge my battery with my Prolong at 20+ hours with no issues. last time it was 30 hours. It takes a very very long time to charge all those modules when its clamped at .3 amps charge rate. 8 hours doesn't even begin.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have that system that is attached. How do you tell it's overfilling and balancing and when it is actually finished then? I need to do the fill it full then drop to 134 volts then fill it full again and go-to the next voltage and fill it full again.

Thanks for your input. I feel better about it running for a lengthy time without battery meltdown :)

If there's a real process someone can recommend for a newbie tech guy doing this I would appreciate it. I found 2 bad cells and replaced. Wirebrushed every post and replaced the nasty copper bus bars with nickel plated bars and new nuts. Now just need to get it balanced so I can get back to driving.

Thanks! Screenshot_20190924-145341.jpeg

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can leave it overnight;).

What you’re seeing is top end balancing of all 168 cells :).

@SFO has rebuilt 3 packs the exact same way you are. And they are still doing well about a year or so later(y).

vendingtech and SFO like this.
  6. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Using this equipment is it necessary to do 3 different drains and fills or is charging full dropping to 134 then filling full and dropping to 101 then filling full enough to balance the pack. Running out of time and about to be 20ish hours on the fill side from the drop to 101. Really need car back. Just wanted to find out what others do. I recently rebuilt pack and replaced 2 cells.

Thanks

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can just do top end balancing
    :).

But if you’ve already discharged, you need to charge it back up;).

Once you’ve seen the charge stable for 6 hours, don’t forget to let the battery sit for at least an hour to avoid any issues(y).

8. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok ill do another drain and Fill to 84 volts if necessary. Just wanting to get back on the road. Been borrowing a vehicle for a week now. I filled full full. I think initial fill was 30 hours then I discharged to 134 and filled for 20+ hours til it had been at 240 then start doing to 239 then 240 back a forth ever min or so for 4+ hours called it full. Dropped to 101 with discharger and now it's been on the charger for 26 hours. on way to see it's status. doing that in bench at friends house.

Appreciate the info. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks

#8 vendingtech, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.