1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Automotive problems and now my HV is fubar!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you all may remember, I attempted to do the Prolong cycles about a month ago. On the first cycle, the Intelligent discharger worked as promised, but the Prolong grid charger had died. It took better than three weeks for Hybrid Automotive to repair and return my grid charger and in the meantime my HV set with about 200 volts.

I got the grid charger back, and it works. So I put the battery pack through the rest of the cycles. Now, I'm getting a P3006 and a P3000. The HV was fine before I tried to "maintain it" and now it's showing that the battery levels are unusually. My lowest block is 17.82, there are a couple between 18.11 and 1813, some 18.30-33, some 18.4 the highest one is 18.83.

The car starts and runs, tho stumbles a bit sometimes. The red triangle of death is illuminated and the battery icon is lit.

I know I probably don't have any recourse, but I'm definitely disappointed and dismayed at Hybrid Automotive. I blame them for the screwed up HV battery. should have quit while I was ahead, I definitely won't be using the system on my other Prius.

scona likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you talked to @jeff652 about this?

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet.

Okay, gave them a call, turns out I took it off the grid charger too soon. Once it hits peak voltage, it should stay on the charger for balancing--another 8 to 12 hours. 12v batttery needs to be reset, too.

#3 Brian in Tucson, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gotta follow the directions. ;) (y)

I generally keep the 12V on a trickle charger while grid charging.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And be patient ;).

They say it is a virtue :whistle:.

One I have yet to master, depending on the situation :sick:.

WilDavis and jerrymildred like this.
  6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After the final top balance charge let it sit disconnected for at least an hour before driving it around.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too! "Lord, help me learn patience. And please hurry!"

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm usually pretty patient, but lately I have a hole in the ground where all my money and patience has been going. I'm working on the toughest automotive project in my long and varied shade tree mechanics life. I'm swapping the engine in my Porsche Boxster. Very complicated wiring (gotta change it all) and vacuum lines. Like a good recovering drunk, it's "One day at a time."

So when the Prius started throwing codes, my reaction was Oh sh** I need this like a hole in the noggin! Today I'll see whether I'm a whole bucket of crap or if the battery is going to be alright.

9. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    What is the plan for Today?

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Assuming this is the original pack, I'm not surprised in the least that it has failed. Doing preventive maintenance on the battery with a grid charger doesn't guarantee it will last. No one claims that. Also, claiming this old pack was "fine" beforehand is denying both the effects of science (chemistry) and time.

GOOD LUCK in your repairs or replacement.

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the balancing yesterday and let it sit overnight. Cleared the codes by disconnecting the little battery.

I took it out for about a 30 mile trip today and no codes came back, the car is getting better mileage, and is running flawlessly.

Whew!

12. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on that battery? You do know that after completing the reconditioning cycles you need to load test each module, right? And weed out the weak ones?

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that listed in the Prolong conditioning procedure? @Raytheeagle or @jerrymildred can confirm.

Some people check just for curiosity but most I remember just drive it after the final rest.
    I know @jerrymildred tried to cut the rest too short and ended up replacing the battery. He is the only one here who admits to that. He did not blame the equipment though.

14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are you referring to an individual module replacement versus the grid charging @Brian in Tucson is performing?

Since the pack is together and still in the car, how would you perform individual module load tests?

I am also a user of the Prolong equipment and do not load test each module after reconditioning. I take the Prius for a test drive and load test all together.

Keep us posted (y).

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What @Prodigyplace & @Raytheeagle said. If no modules got replaced, no need for individual load testing. Even if any did get replaced, I'm not sure you'd need that step with the Prolong.

Glad you got good results, @Brian in Tucson. How many cycles did you put it through? If I understand your last post correctly, it sounds like just one. A full recondition is three cycles, each discharged more deeply than the previous one per the instructions. That takes at least three days. But just doing the first one would make a big improvement, so nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, it's great to see a battery that old still on the road. (y)

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never done that after any of the reconditions (long or short) that I've done on my 2009 Gen II (128,000 miles) over the past 2½ years! On what are you basing your statement? (see my bold, above) :cautious::unsure:

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not see that documented here. Battery Reconditioning - Hybrid Automotive

Battery Reconditioning Step-by-step Process:

Note: While not required, we recommend disconnecting the 12V AUX battery to ensure it is not accidentally discharged by interior lights while performing the reconditioning process.

1) Charge the battery until the voltage stops rising. A full balancing is recommended, but is not required at this step.

2) Discharge the battery to at least 0.8V/cell. Refer to this table for pack level voltage termination points.

3) Charge the battery again until the voltage stops rising.

4) Discharge the battery to 0.5V/cell.

5) Charge the battery again until the voltage stops rising.

6) Discharge the battery to 0.1V/cell.

5) Charge and balance the battery pack one last time. Let the charger run for at least 4-6 hours after the voltage stops rising to ensure the pack is fully balanced.

6) Disconnect the charger and allow the battery to rest for at least 30 min (one hour is recommended) before attempting to start the vehicle.

The above process constitutes one battery reconditioning treatment. If you are short on time, you can perform only two discharge cycles instead of three. It is possible to complete a two-cycle reconditioning treatment over a single weekend if it is started Friday evening and finished Monday morning.

18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We’ll find out soon out here as I lent out the charger and Discharger to another member who replaced 2 modules;).

Last report was 125 miles and no issues:).

That’s an 06 with 125 k miles. More data to come(y).

Prodigyplace and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put it through the three cycles. I know the previous owner, another home mechanic like me, had a failure that he tracked down to corroded buss bars. He clean them and put them back in and the battery was okay. The blocks check out as optimum with techstream.

I'm going to be cleaning it up and selling it. Quit while I'm ahead. It is the nicest 15 year old car I've seen. But I kinda need money and having two Gen 1 Pri's is not a good thing. Can only drive one at a time. I can't help but think that these little cars, battery paranoia aside, would make the most wonderful cars for students. Small sample size, but right now it's doing about 49 mpg.

I'm keeping the $400 02 Prius I got from Linda L. last summer--it has known quality batteries (new in late 2013) and I replace the brake booster pump and the inverter coolant pump. I put about $1600 in a paint job and custom wheels. Need to get a show & tell picture up sometime.

#19 Brian in Tucson, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have 2 Prolong systems or just 2 pigtails?