1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid automotive prolong kit, troubleshooting, from fine to red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by metricmotomike, Aug 18, 2018.

1. metricmotomike

metricmotomike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So i just installed the wiring harness from the prolong kit on my 2008. i got it from my buddy who said he was not going to use it....it was new in the box and he just got it last week. my prius battery was doing ok. it would get into the purple on occasion and was getting 39mpg...so i thought this could not hurt. well, i was wrong. We installed it as per directions to the t. did the test and it did just like it was suppose to. get it all back together and go to start the car and i have the red triangle. I have re checked everything. all connections are good...everything is in its place. I did not run the charge/decharge yet i was just going to install the harness this weekend and do the rest another time when i had time. any help would be great......i went from having a good car to now i cannot do anything to it....hoping it is something simple.....Do i need to run the charge/recharge? i hope not but if it fixes this issue then i guess i have no choice....

2. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure you have the orange disconnect plugged in correctly. Push in, flip lever up, and push down. Also, you can disconnect the 12v battery as a reset. If you really have a issue the red triangle will come back and you will have to use a mini-vci w/techstream diagnostic software to determine what dtc is tripped.

Another thing, check the condition of your 12v battery, if it is weak/old, it should be replaced. A weak 12v will cause transient issues and if you had the doors open for a sufficient enough time to draining the 12v below a good state that will cause problems.

Attached Files:

ITBland and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on orange safety plug

Most people don't realize the orange plug has to be pushed down also. If you try to start w/o pushing down it will set the code and triangle and will not start until installing correctly and resetting the codes.

ITBland and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Another thing to check (in addition to the orange safety plug) is the battery fan connection;).

I loaned out our Prolong equipment to another member and that’s what got him:cool:.

Do you have a way to read the codes, like Techstream?

Having a code reader with an older Prius goes along way to helping troubleshoot issues;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

ITBland likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

YouTube explanation might be helpful!

hchu1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the disconnect was in correctly. the 12 v battery is maybe a month old oem toyota one. i let the car sitting for about a few hours and went back and it came on fine. i do not know what the issue was.....so far so good....now next weekend i will do the charge/discharge...

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you installed the cable did you hook up the battery fan control module?

You say you did the test. You either do a simple charge or you do the more complicated discharge.
    Which did u do?

Prolong sells 2 models the older green round model or the newer automatic discharger model.
    Which are you using.

Lots of people while working on older g2 leave the doors and the hatch open and it kills the borderline health 12 volt battery. Open the hood and check the 12 volt battery volt level at the front jump point.
    If dead replace 12 volt battery because it needs it.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though your 12 V battery is new, you should still check the voltage, and if less than 12.4 V, you should charge it back up to full.

Keeping the 12 V battery full is an easy way to extend its life.

As for your original problem, you have to press the power button twice with your foot on the brake after any “power out” situation.

ITBland likes this.