1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid batt. ?, cont. '01 Prius - p3000, p 3006, delta soc %, freeze,frame accurate?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by peripatetic pri, Mar 14, 2018.

1. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi; now been a week after codes cleared by dlr and they cldn't replicate; have driven very little, but still o.k.

Was told that freeze frames cell voltage readings don't mean anything w a Gen I; mine have max variation betw cells of .30, but instead of 20, delta soc % is 43.

Might anyone be able to look on iatn site? One mechanic I believe consulted this site and found a ref to transmission fluid (water in it) as poss culprit. mine due to be changed (I'm @ 119600 mi).

Mainly, I am int. in whatever else might possibly have caused these p3000/p3006 codes to occur besides intermittent failure of hybrid battery --

This forum is a perfect place to learn other weird things that could cause codes -- a few have mentioned wiring harness? ECD valve? Advisor @DLR said sometimes the cooling system can cause . . .
    If I could learn anything else that might be causing the code then I could get it fixed!

Technician who did testing on the car did say that most of the time they can replicate the code during the stress test but cldn't on mine. Happy to share any test results if helpful.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks much!

#1 peripatetic pri, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure about Gen 1 specifically, but Toyota new hybrid battery warranties I have heard are 3 years if dealer installed, otherwise 1 year.

@ericbecky likely knows for sure.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you mind not talking in abbreviations? It is fine when talking with your friends by text. Using @DLR, you actually tagged user DLR into your post, and she is probably wondering why she has been tagged in, or maybe not as it's been over 5 years since she last logged in.

If you want help, you don't really want to make it harder than necessary for readers to follow what you are posting. Just saying, no offence intended.
    I'd be suspicious of advice from a "mechanic" who consults the internet (and I hope you didn't pay money for that), but if you want a reliable internet source read here:

Gen 1 Prius Battery Failure, P3006 | Luscious Garage

You could equally search this site, there is no shortage of P3006/P3000 posts in the Gen 1 forum.

You can see from the Luscious Garage article, your only real option is to change out the HV battery for a new one. Only you can work out if that is a viable option to you.

Hope that helps.

4. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks much. Have carpal tunnel. Tried to edit title of this post; couldn't figure out how.

Ploughed through most of p3000, p3006 posts; had already found Luscious article, haven't heard back.

Talked to mechanic again who ran tests; he said my car was unusual in that they could not get codes to reappear, so the p3000, 3006 were just stored.

When turn on the screen that shows flow to engine/battery while driving, appears battery working - flow in, flow out. Car drives fine but have only driving about 40 miles 1.5 weeks since event.

Another advisor at another Toyota dealer said that sometimes coolant system can cause p3006.

Upshot? Can anyone point me to a really good honest Prius mechanic in Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area so that if it's a wiring harness or other problem they will say so and not just tell me i need a new battery.

Also, as I have gone through all could find on p3006, could anyone just shout out briefly other problems (such as wiring harness) where p3000, 3006 never came back after some minor problem fixed which was triggering the p3006 and was not a bad hybrid battery.

Also, would appreciate input re whether, if my battery truly going bad, my diagnostic can look perfectly fine with no more than .30 spread voltages in freeze frame. If intermittent would it really still look perfect?

much thanks