1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid batteries

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eak354, Jun 10, 2004.

1. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

"though unlike Honda, which offers an eight year warranty on the battery, Toyota only offers five years. " - the msn article

Doesn't the Prius come with a 7 year warranty on the battery? Anyway, by 2012 the (when most of us will need a new battery), it will probably only cost a few hundred bucks. Just look at how fast technology is moving!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an Aussie link, the warranty must be different down there. I do think the $7000 estimate is way too high.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'll worry about battery replacement cost, when we start hearing about people having to replace them. Thus far, I still have yet to read or hear of a Prius battery requiring replacent.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

actually, the $7000 was not an estimate. i thought it was outlandish at first as well, but they quoted a honda spokesperson as saying that the list price right now on an insight battery replacement was $6840. of course, we all hope they will be less when replacement is actually necessary, but they apparently were quoting an accurate figure right now.

6. harryg

harryg New Member

04 tideland bc
    Port Townsend, WA

I belive the batts are warranted for 8yrs or 100k.

Harry

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's this about Toyota outsourcing Battery Recycling?

I read in one of their environmental blubs that they have created an entire factory in Japan just to refurbish/recycle Hybrid Batteries.

They just have it in mothballs right now because none of the batteries are failing :)

8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A quick check of a currency converter site indicates that $7000 AU is about $4800 US.

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Several points:
    • As you say, in the US the battery (and hybrid components) warranty is 8 years.
    • That does not mean that the batteries are expected to fail in 8 years. The lifespan depends a lot on how the car's driven.
    • As described elsewhere on PriusChat, the Prius '04 battery packs are expected to drop considerably in price in 8 years -- $1000 is what I usually hear from battery mfgrs.
    • "The life of the car and the batteries is expected to be about the same -- 8 to 10 years?" I hope not. (Have to wonder if that's a misquote; given the misinformation in some of the rest of the article, maybe a deliberate misquote.)