1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery, 12yrs, 107k miles - worth it to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exposure_therapy, May 30, 2018.

1. exposure_therapy

exposure_therapy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my 2006 Prius for 12 years and about 107,500 miles, and yesterday saw the red triangle of death for the first time.

The dealership said the only code that came up was p0a80, and after running some diagnostics, identified that the fan for the hybrid battery system had failed, causing the battery to overheat and fail. They said that I would need a new hybrid battery system, to the tune of $4,594.68 (that includes $3,828.96 in parts).

Does this seem worth it to fix? How long could I realistically expect the car to run if I were to get it repaired? Are there any other common big-ticket repairs I should be worried about in the near future?

If I were to instead get a new car, does this one have any trade-in value, given the fact that it needs a new hybrid battery?

I apologize for asking what I'm sure is a very common question. I read through a lot of other posts, but most posts debating whether to replace the battery or the car were from users that could make the repair themselves - I've never done anything under the hood other than checking my wiper fluid, so I'm not in any position to install a new battery myself.

I'm really interested in how others would make this decision if you were in my position. If it makes a difference, my daily commute is 50 miles round trip, and if I were to get a new car, I'd like to get another Prius. A complicating factor is that my husband and I were hoping to have children within the next few years, and were planning to buy a larger car at that point. However, we've been diagnosed with infertility, so we can't predict if that will happen next year, 5 years from now, or never - and we're not about to buy a minivan if we don't definitely need it. We're also going through very expensive infertility treatment, so the added expense of either a $5k repair or a car payment could not have come at a worse time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure you can get a lower price elsewhere. These batteries can be bought from some dealers for $1600. Of course the dealer tacks on installation and whatever else....but $4594 is absolutely crazy. The parts price of $3828 doesn't seem right either. Someone is trying to empty your wallet for you.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    107000 miles is worth replacement.
    The part cost is a little high?

I would expect part plus labor to be closer to $3500.

Definitely stick with a NEW hybrid battery. I would not do a used or refurbished battery in your situation with the low miles.

You can contact Toyota Corporate office to see if they offer to chip in towards the purchase of a new battery. It may not happen, bit it does not hurt to ask.

4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No dealer will install a battery for $1600 for part and labor.

Only if another party chips in towards the cost will it be anywhere near that.

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I only had to drive 82,000 miles to save almost $7,000 in gas over the small SUV I originally planned to buy, so replacing the battery can be cost effective if you plan to keep the vehicle.

That said, $4,594.68 sounds NUTS. I am in the process of replacing my 2005 hybrid battery, with a new Toyota battery, at my Toyota dealership, for $2,621.54, tax and installation included. I suppose they can charge whatever the market will bear, though.

With a new Toyota battery installed by a Toyota dealer you should also get a 3-year warranty. I had to educate my dealer on that point -- they thought it got the same 12-month/12,000 mile warranty as all the other parts they sold. The individual part does if you buy it from them but install it yourself, but not if it is installed by them. A new battery is expected to live at least 10 years, however. They had to call me back after they confirmed what I was telling them was correct, lol.

#5 Wayne, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $2621.54 sounds more like it. Wholesale at $1600 plus labor and taxes.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the head-banger. Too late now, but a precautionary tale: check your fan once in a while. Toyota should put this in the schedule.

On the flip-side, it had a pretty good run, 12 years.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never heard of a fan failing, clogged with hair YES, failing NO.

If the dealer is suggesting you should replace this fan, then it's becoming clear how the price quoted is so high. Let me guess.....did they suggest you buy a new car from them and trade your car in for $500?

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really sorry about your heartbreaking diagnosis. We have quite a few friends and family members in that boat. I wish you well.

I agree with the others that a new battery would definitely be worth it, but not at the insane price your dealer quoted.

One other thing. I hope you were just using a figure of speech about the wiper fluid being the only thing under the hood you check. The oil level is just as easy to check and infinitely more important. The engine is also a very expensive component. I don't know how many sad stories we've had from people who didn't check their oil.

Chodronish likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard of the fan failing, but from being clogged. It will burn itself out, there really isn't much monitoring going on until its too late. It is either in the spectrum of "working to not completely dead" or "completely dead".

$2500 sounds much more reasonable nowadays from a dealership.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you can get that price down on the battery it's a worthy investment. The cars worth much more plus it's going to last many years. Your milage is low.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely replace it. I am over in the Champlain Valley - Adirondack region. I own an 05, and 08 and a 14. The 05 has over 325,000 on the original hybrid battery and the 08 over 181,000. The colder climate is great for the HV battery but these cars are driven nearly every day and nearly 100 miles each 5 times a week. I'd replace the battery. Shop around at the dealerships. I have had no major repairs and NOTHING with the engines and transmissions of these 2 cars aside from replacing the ICE water pump on each one and routine maintenance. Your car still has a lot of life in it!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  13. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So no monitoring of the fan? Just lets battery overheat? I'll keep an eye on mine!
    With a 12 year old battery I'm sure it was done anyhow.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would think by now that a lot of Gen 2 Prii have been wrecked with new batteries by now, I would check the junk yards. Just an idea.

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plenty of batteries in junk yards are core returns filled with junk. I've seen it myself.
    Plus around, here junkyard prices are over $1000 with little or no warranty.
    Bad investment in my opinion.

Raytheeagle and 2k1Toaster like this.
  16. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I could be misreading your post. But are you saying that the employee at the junk yard sold the original hybrid battery, received another core in return and filled it bad stuff....and then sold it again as an original battery?

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. I see I was unclear.
    I dontean to say a junkyard employee made the switch.

I mean it may happen prior to the car getting to the junkyard.

MelonPrius and jerrymildred like this.
  18. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take this one step at a time, starting with how much you trust this shop giving you the diagnosis.

Usually a dysfunctional fan will throw a code P0A82, for battery over heating. Unless you have been driving for weeks with the dash trouble lights blazing, you may have another issue going on. Many of this era Prius have trouble with corrosion in the fan connector. it's right next to the fan. The P0A80 code may also be showing up because the battery is functioning so poorly due to the temp differential between cell block in the battery rack since the fan is not working. I think you might need a little more testing before spending $4k.

Once the fan is remedied, you can do a good diagnostic on the battery and see what is actually the true condition. If it's bad, "why" is somewhat irrelevant at this point. It either needs to be replaced or not. I would suggest a refurbished battery with a 2 year warranty unless you plan to personally keep the car until the wheels fall off. A new battery in my opinion is almost overkill. You can have a refurbed, warrantied battery sent to you for $995. There are a number of providers, I used Hometown Hybrids out of Houston. Various refurb providers have installers around the country who will actually come to your house and do it for well under $2k. Or, if you're handy, you can replace it yourself with the help of a friend to lift it in and out of the car. There are some very good videos on the internet to show you how. The real trick is having someone with the TechStream diagnostic software (and cable) on a laptop really check out the car.

At a minimum I would review the TechStream output with the dealer technician before spending any money. Good luck.

SFO likes this.
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree with most of what you said, I can't agree with the above as a good option.

Hometown Hybrids out of Houston have a reputation for doing a decent job on a refurbish battery, but that does not mean that all outfits that claim to give 1, 3, 6, 12 or 24 months warranty will actually go the distance of the warranty. We have seen it too many times that refurbs fail and sometime multiple times within the (2 year) warranty period. Even those suppliers that stand by their warranty, there is the inconvenience of the car being down 2-5 (or worse) days plus usually the warranty does not extend to the labor to remove and reinstall the HV battery itself, so at $250-$300 a time that gets expensive real quick.

I would caution you advising people to go the refurb route, until your situation proves that, at least yours, lasts beyond the warranty period. Even if the owner of the car with a failed battery only intends to keep the car for a short period of time, after replacement, I don't believe it is ethically a good practice to install a refurb/rebuilt, unless it is refurbed/rebuilt with all new modules. The cheapest option currently, if DIY, is $1600 which I think is reasonable to spend on a car that is in very good condition with say less than 150,000 miles. After that the decision becomes harder, depending on the length of time you are going to keep the car afterwards.

Just another view to take into account.

#19 dolj, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  20. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This car can run 300k miles easy 107k is nothing regrettably you must have had alot of dirt sucked up. The blower at a pick-a-part was like 20 something for the one on my workbench. as for the hybrid battery online at dealers websites often you can get a new from 1750 (that includes sales tax) there is a $1300 core charge and yes you might lose the sales tax on the core charge depends on the state. But it is a fairly straight forward swap that anyone with common sense and a Internet connection can do as long as you can lift about 70 pounds. Help from a friend/local non dealer mechanic or a craigslist battery rebuilders is probably a lot cheaper. Just ask them what they'll charge to put in a new hybrid battery just the labor, on the other hand they might just do it for a module swap I. E they get to add all junk modules into your core and walk away with some good ones from your core and maybe a few bucks.
    well worth it either way
    My $.02
    terramir