1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery and brakes failed on 2006 Prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Redrockmommy, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Redrockmommy

Redrockmommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2006 Prius with just over 200k miles on it. The hybrid battery was replaced about 4 yrs ago with a refurb and it looks like it has failed again. I think this time my husband is going to try and replace the bad cell or cells. My question though is this; the lights went on and the car seemed to be loosing power but then it began to speed up on its own and the brakes wouldn’t stop it ( my daughter was driving it at the time, so this came from her.) She ended up having to press super hard on the brakes and then pulled off to the side of the road and called my husband to come help her. Is this related to the hybrid battery going out or is there more going on here? The error codes are P0A80 (replace hybrid battery) P3014(low power) and P0420 (catalytic converter). The catalytic converters we already knew about.

#1 Redrockmommy, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
  2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm glad your daughter was able to stop the car without having an accident. What device are you using to read the codes? It's possible your code reader is missing codes that are produced by the braking system. To be sure, you should really have them read by a Toyota dealer or get a copy of Techstream on an old laptop.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles were on the old HV battery, and was that the original battery from 2006?

Did you pay someone to take a potentially usable (though failed) HV battery away, and in exchange they gave you have a hodge podge of used modules that don't work well together?

Were the floor mats impeding the pedal operation?

Check for the dealer maintenance/recall history by running the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

Raytheeagle and davecook89t like this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a very subtle surge that happens in Prius hybrid cars that give people the impression of unintended acceleration but it lasts less then a 1/2 second and is not something to worry about. So I'd exclude that concern for the moment and first sort out who you bought the refurb battery from and what they're saying about the fact they failed to deliver on what they promised? The more details you can provide, the more likely we'll save you lots of money with an easy fix/resolution for this problem.

5. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I used the innova code reader from autozone. I didn’t dare drive it to the dealership. Thanks for the advice.

6. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have checked the recalls when the catalytic code started popping up and didn’t find anything. I bought the car in 2016 and was told it had a refurb battery with a one year warranty. It lasted four years and about 50k miles. I thought that was pretty good but maybe it was a hodgepodge set. I don’t know much about the car before I bought it. My husband went and drove the car home and said it was accelerating on its own briefly and the brakes were very stiff. Then lost power and drove slowly the rest of the way home. Hybrid battery bar at 1. I don’t know a lot about the regenerative breaking system but thought the battery going out could cause the acceleration and stiff breaks. I’ve searched the internet and didn’t find much about it. I might have to take it into a Toyota mechanic and see what they say but wanted to check here first.

davecook89t likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the inherited rebuilt did quite well all things considered, is this recently replaced HV battery also under some type of warranty?

As mentioned, that free/borrowed scanner may not be fully hybrid compatible. Though it has identified a failing module pair in the HV battery.

If the husband has an interest in replacing modules, then he will need an OBD2 scanner to retrieve stored codes (DTCs). Many prefer to use a mini-vci cable and a copy of techstream (dealer technician level software) on a windows device. You can also use an OBD2 bluetooth/wifi adapter and an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant. Here is a link that can help you pick a usable adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Are there any warning lights on the dash, if so that usually means there are associated codes (DTCs) stored in the ECUs, knowing the DTC(s) can help with diagnosing the braking issue, and potentially save both time and money.

Once you have the brake related codes (DTCs), post them here and we can offer additional advice.

If the vehicle was braking fine before the replacement, and the used HV battery seller/installer is out of the picture for whatever reason, and you don't have a compatible OBD2 reader (yet), then start by retracing some of the steps involved in replacing a HV battery, check the 12v connections (including the grounding strap at the body), and make sure the three (3) connectors (below) are fully seated and have clicked :

[​IMG]

Besides checking the 12v connections, use a voltmeter to check the 12v health at the battery, and again under the hood at the jump points on the drivers side.

#7 SFO, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    davecook89t and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Typo on my first post. The hybrid was relaxed 4 yrs ago not 4 hrs ago. Sorry for the confusion. Not sure if I can go back and edit that but I will try.

#8 Redrockmommy, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
  9. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So...my first post has a typo. The hybrid was replaced with a refurb 4 YEARS AGO not 4 hrs ago. I was wondering why everyone was asking me who replaced it and about the warranty. Sorry.

10. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is all great advice. I did buy the Carista obd2 for my 2012 Prius so I could adjust the reverse beeping and a few other settings but I couldn’t get it to work. It just caused all my warning lights to go on and an error code. I ended up returning it to amazon. Maybe I’ll give one another try. Thanks for the link. I will post again when I have more info. I’ve only posted once on this chat so thanks for all your help and for everyone overlooking the many mistakes I am surely making.

11. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have an Android phone, the OBDLink LX (bluetooth only) works well with both Dr. Prius and Hybrid Assistant. Both Apps will give info about battery health. Hybrid Assistant is Android only.

12. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Update: my husband did some research and ended up replacing the bad cell yesterday. He tested all cells and they are all in the 7.7 range. We reinstalled the battery last night but can’t get the engine to fire up or the car to shift into drive or reverse (only park and neutral). Yes we are pressing the brake when shifting, all doors are closed and the orange hybrid battery safety plug is completely inserted and clipped down. Any idea why it won’t shift? We disconnected the 12v and reconnected it. Tested the voltage on it and it seems fine. All warning lights are still on including the brake light which I find suspicious since my daughter claims she was having trouble with the brakes when all this started. However, when we left the car in neutral and he pushed it to get it rolling, the brakes worked just fine. We are planning on taking the battery back out and double checking all connections tonight. Any additional advice we can get before then would be great. Thanks.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the car making 'ready'?

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's almost 100 electrical connections that all have to be done perfectly when you put a pack back together, so pulling the pack and checking the work is key... But first, most people who have this problem simply forget to put the orange safety plug fully in place so check that first before pulling pack.

15. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good news! We took the battery out, checked all the connections and then put it back in and it started up and drove great. Cleared the codes by disconnecting the 12 volt and all seems well. Not sure what we missed the first time around, but I am thrilled we just repaired her hybrid battery for $35. Thanks for all of your help!!!

PriusCamper, bisco and davecook89t like this.