1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid battery bad again?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by camnewton5555, Jul 16, 2024 at 12:17 AM.

1. camnewton5555

camnewton5555 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone! I bought a 2006 Prius with 143,000 miles on the odometer for 5K in TX in early June, spent the first month fixing undisclosed issues, first was the combo meter which I soldered the new capacitor on and is now working great, however then I got the fun Christmas tree of lights. The main one being a P3022 battery block 12 becomes weak. So I replaced the hybrid battery (did it the wrong way and put a reburnished one in based on the fact that I just drained all my money into this car). Then based on a mechanic recommendation I did the inverter pump. so now a month later I have a plethora of codes. I will list them all to be thorough
    c1259 (current)
    c1310 (current)
    u0073 (current)
    u0123 (current)
    u0124 (current)
    u0126 (current)
    u0293 (current)
    u0100 (stored)
    u0111 (stored)
    p3000 (current)
    p3000 (history)
    P0A80 (history)

So, from what I understand the only real code here that doesn't just mean "look elsewhere" is P0A80. my only thing is the fact that it only shows as history, however my dash looks like a Christmas tree. Is this a bad hybrid battery and if so why does P0A80 show as history and not current?
    additional info
    I drove about 600 miles in the month since the last HV battery swap so if it was dead when it was put in I would have thought that It should have come on a lot sooner. I even got the car inspected (had to get it put in my name) and it showed no issues there.
    12v battery- I have had some concerns about this little guy, with the car in ACC mode and nothing running the screen shows him at 12.4v, however turning on my headlights(HID) makes it drop to 11.2. If the 12v was good would it drop that much just from headlights?
    gas mileage- on my way to work (through the neighborhood, around a mile and a half drive) I would average about 25 MPG. this is me driving and letting it regen brake, not gunning it and letting of the gas far before a stop sign. on the highway doing a mix of 65-75 on cruise control I would get around 36-40. does that sound right? I should note this is in Texas... 104 outside so ac on max the whole time. I have no idea what else to check for gas mileage... running a fresh air filter, oil change, and trying to be nice on the gas. is the 12v at fault for these bad gas numbers?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. This would be at the top of my list to verify. You need to ensure the 12v battery is healthy before any other troubleshooting. Would hate to waste time chasing ghosts.

4. camnewton5555

camnewton5555 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone! I called the installer for the refurbished battery (has a 2 year warranty) and they pulled up techstream and it showed cell 2 having as much as a 2v difference, so that was replaced under warranty today, I am going tomorrow to replace the 12v and we will see from there. As of now I have no codes that came back after being cleared.