1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery charge strategy when ICE fuel is ON

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FrankTiger, Jun 22, 2013.

1. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

In this thread Measuring GenIII Prius energy (power) flow with OBD | PriusChat I showed the way I measure the energy flow in the 2010 Prius.

This time I like to show you what is the battery charge strategy the HSD ECU follows when ICE is burning fuel and therefore delivering power to PSD.

I have taken 38607 OBD readings when ICE fuel is ON, IGN is above 5º (to skip S1a warming stage) and vehicle speed is over 10Km/h (6mph) to skip the moments when the car is standing.

With those 38607 readings is possible to make a 3D plot of the numbers of readings on a grid of Battery SoC and Amps (negative when charging and positive when discharging) Let's see if we can observe some patterns:

[​IMG]

Yes! There are patterns for the battery charge or discharge current when the ICE is delivering power based on SoC alone.

If we rotate the chart we may see some regions for different patterns.

[​IMG]

There are two regions;
    1. An aligned series of growing peaks on 20A charging current from the minimum SoC (33.7%) upto 50% SoC. From there there are some lower peaks aligned at 20A.
    2. The main peaks range that is sloped; appears at 45% SoC with negative current values (charging) and continues upto 63% SoC iwth positive current values (discharging)

Looking the 3D chart from above we may see those patterns:

[​IMG]

In the above chart we may clearly see the pattern for SoC recovery triggered when SoC goes below 40% that is described here.

The other pattern is:

[​IMG]

We can see that the HSD ECU trys to put 60% SoC on the hybrid battery when ICE is delivering power; and simply puts/removes 1.5Amps of battery current for every 1%SoC that is apart from 60% SoC.

That strategy is important if you try to make a math model of the 2010 Prius HSD behaviour.

Hope you like this post

Big hugs from Frank

Jonny Zero likes this.
  2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What is the Z axis on the 3D plot? Just sample size?

Good data!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    frank, you've outdone yourself this time, thank you!(y)

4. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Jonny

Yes, the vertical axis is just sample size.

If it is zero, it means that this combination of SoC and current "never" happens when ICE is burning fuel, past S1a warming stage, and vehicle moving.

Frank

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great chart. Food for thought for people who insist on using EV every time they can. I like to use it to back up from garage only. Once I forgot to cancel it while on the driveway, exhausted battery on the very first hill in my neighborhood ans finished my commute at only 50mpg. Normally I get 60.

Bob G IA likes this.
  6. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

First post of this thread edited 06May19 with images stored in PostImage.com instead of ImageShack

7. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

In this thread Measuring GenIII Prius energy (power) flow with OBD | PriusChat I showed the way I measure the energy flow in the 2010 Prius.

This time I like to show you what is the battery charge strategy the HSD ECU follows when ICE is burning fuel and therefore delivering power to PSD.

I have taken 38607 OBD readings when ICE fuel is ON, IGN is above 5º (to skip S1a warming stage) and vehicle speed is over 10Km/h (6mph) to skip the moments when the car is standing.

With those 38607 readings is possible to make a 3D plot of the numbers of readings on a grid of Battery SoC and Amps (negative when charging and positive when discharging) Let's see if we can observe some patterns:

[​IMG]

Yes! There are patterns for the battery charge or discharge current when the ICE is delivering power based on SoC alone.

If we rotate the chart we may see some regions for different patterns.

[​IMG]

There are two regions;
    1. An aligned series of growing peaks on 20A charging current from the minimum SoC (33.7%) upto 50% SoC. From there there are some lower peaks aligned at 20A.
    2. The main peaks range that is sloped; appears at 45% SoC with negative current values (charging) and continues upto 63% SoC iwth positive current values (discharging)

Looking the 3D chart from above we may see those patterns:

[​IMG]

In the above chart we may clearly see the pattern for SoC recovery triggered when SoC goes below 40% that is described here.

The other pattern is:

[​IMG]

We can see that the HSD ECU trys to put 60% SoC on the hybrid battery when ICE is delivering power; and simply puts/removes 1.5Amps of battery current for every 1%SoC that is apart from 60% SoC.

That strategy is important if you try to make a math model of the 2010 Prius HSD behaviour.

Hope you like this post

Big hugs from Frank

First post of this thread edited 06May19 with images stored in PostImage.com instead of ImageShack

GG707, mjoo and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great data and charts frank, thank you!(y)