1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery charge weird fluctuation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rivieraman71, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Rivieraman71

Rivieraman71 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so my Prius is a 2008 with 239,000 miles on it. I took it into sears a few days ago for a tire rotation and balance and when I started the car I noticed the battery bars where down to the 2 purple bars. It took a few miles for it to charge back up to 3 bars from the top. I noticed at first when the car is on and in park and my foot wasn’t on the brake the bars would drop at the rate of a bar every 15 to 20 seconds. Soon as I hit the brake it stopped. It did that for 2 days.

The next day it still did it but not all the time. Then as the day went on it would show on bar from the top and green for as long as 20 minutes, it’s never done that before. Then it would show 3 bars from the top and drop to 2 bars from the bottom and purple. Now I know there’s no way that the battery drained that fast.

So the next thing I tried was to see if it made a difference with the A/C on or off while it’s in park and foot off or on the brake. It’s not every time but some times the battery bars would go go to purple and sometimes they wouldn’t. They always stop at 2 bars from the bottom and the red triangle never comes on and no warning lights. I’m a little confused as to what the problem could be. Also I tested the 12V battery and it’s good. I read that to see if the hybrid battery is going bad to floor the gas pedal from a stop till you get to 60 mph and see if the bars drop significantly. I tried it and the bars stayed right at three bars from the top the whole time.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's the original battery, that's classic bad battery symptoms. The display goes crazy because the battery is also going crazy. Charging and discharging really quickly, strange step functions, etc.

You need a NEW battery. I know Toyota Australia is not the best when it comes to hybrid repair pricing, but it is one of the only options if you are going to keep the car.

3. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I unplugged the 12V battery and I’ll leave it till the morning. I’m hoping it’s just needing a reset of some sorts but my luck usually doesn’t work like that. There are a few Prius’s in the junkyards near me if the battery is bad. Guess I’ll have to go junkyard hunting. I’m hoping it’s just having an attitude and the battery being unplugged does the trick. Fingers crossed and I’ll find out in a few hrs.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those are the initial signs of a battery-pack nearing end-of-life. You'll be fine continuing to use it until a code is thrown (engine light comes on). That will confirm its time. If the engine is still running well (most are at that age, since the system is so easy on them), you can replace the battery-pack and keep on driving the car for years to come.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well buying the car last year did worry me a little when the seller told me it was the original battery pack. I bought it from Tampa hybrids in Florida. He also replaces the battery with good cells from other cars. He doesn’t just replace the bad cells he does the whole pack.

6. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know about how long I have left out of the battery pack until the codes or thrown? I’m sure it varies.

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He replaces the whole pack with more soon-to-fail modules. This, if done properly, is about as good as a reconditioned/refurbished pack can get. And that should buy you 6months to a year. Maybe 2 years if it was done with really nice late year Gen-3 modules. Don't do this. This was perfectly acceptable in the late 2000's and even a few years after the Gen-3's came out. But now there is no new stock and limited to exhausted old stock coupled with record numbers of replacements being required. So just no...

Nobody has a magic eight ball, but usually this is the last legs, like less than a few thousand miles before codes are thrown. What you should have been seeing is a continuous decline for the past few years. Most people won't notice because they just drive it and it is not something to really pay attention to. After this continuous decline where it just works less well it dies. Yours is dead. It is now fluctuating so wildly the car has no idea what to do with it. This will inevitably lead to codes thrown. If you limit any battery draw like never using reverse, never flooring it, and try to stick to long highway drives you may get a good while out of the battery in this state. But it will fail eventually. After it throws a code, it will behave even worse but usually you can continue driving on it for another few months at least. It will no longer be reliable in the sense you would continue to use this car to do daily mandatory hospital visits or something. It will probably work just fine 99% of the time but that 1% could leave you stranded at the road. So be prepared to hoof it when it does, or Uber it, and tow it somewhere. If that's acceptable to you, like most people, then keep on trucking as you wait for a new battery. Do NOT put off attempting to purchase or saving up to purchase a battery until the car refuses to move because then you might be stuck with a huge paperweight not going anywhere versus a car that can hobble places if need be. Don't procrastinate.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be shopping for a NEW battery right now. Anything that doesn't come from a Toyota dealership or parts counter or me, is not new, it is refurbished. Run away from such batteries.

8. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TK1Toaster are you still waiting on more battery kits to come in or do you have them in stock yet?

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sold out until October shipment. I expect them to arrive near the end of September. I am also offering an express option now and for $300 I can air freight a pack in the middle of August for delivery end of August.

m.wynn and SFO like this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Todd quit doing that a couple years ago because he was finding out the same stuff about refurbishing as we were. He only sells either new or lightly used intact batteries and will not rebuild your battery. And his new battery price is well below a dealer's price. For my wife's '07 in May of 2017 I got one with a full set of cells from a totaled 2015 with only 18,000 miles on it and a Carfax report.

That's what I assume Rivieraman meant by:

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good that there are still some reputable shops out there. I get shops calling me all the time for rebuilding advice and they don't seem to understand that if they offer a warranty they're going to lose money when they start having to redo all these installs for a second or third or fourth time not too long from now. That takes away shop time. So not only are you tying up shop resources for a job with zero income, you have less resources available to take on paying jobs. I am genuinely worried for some of these shops when they discover this down the road.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct jerry. The guy only deals in used hybrids mainly Prius’s and strongly agrees that replacing just the bad cells is a waste of time and money. I can’t remember his prices right off the top of my head but if I remember correctly
    Well I don’t know if the battery will last till October. Monday I have an appointment at the Toyota dealership to find out the health of the hybrid battery. The test is free and they print me out a report. yes Jerry is right the guy up in Tampa I am referring to that replaces the batteries takes a whole pack out of a newer Prius. I think a pack out of a 2014 or 2015 is $1,500 out the door installed. I can’t remember the warranty though I think it’s 2 years unlimited miles. I think he will sell you the pack to do it yourself for around $1,000 but of course then it comes with no warranty.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's how I bought mine. Except it was before Toyota lowered their new battery prices. He gave me a discount because I've bought four cars from him and referred another buyer to him. It's nice to know his prices have followed Toyota's lead, assuming what he pays has also gone down.

I'm sure that was a major factor in his decision, but he was also hugely concerned about his reputation since without that he'd soon be looking for another job.

14. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So after taking the car to Toyota today and then running the test on the hybrid Battery they said there is nothing wrong with the battery it is in perfect health. The lowest voltage on the blocks is 16.51 in the highest is 16.65. They think maybe it’s whatever is reading the voltage is starting to go out. I’ll try and see if I can find a diagram of the whole system or if anybody has any input of what else it could be. Tech also’s showed me on the sheep the PCM isnt throwing any codes

Attached Files:

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have a 10 year old battery that's lived (I assume) it's whole life in hot Florida. It is not in perfect health. It's old and getting weaker with every day. Plan accordingly.

GOOD LUCK!

16. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And honestly that’s what I was leaning towards too. When I pulled in the bars were green so I figured they would show a full charge to the dealer. I think a 10 yr old Prius battery in Florida is living on borrowed time.

17. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have any luck with green bean battery?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hit or miss from what i've read here.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you too far from tampa hybrids? did you talk to todd?

20. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ll try and call him tomorrow. He’s pretty busy so the sooner I call the better.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.