1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery checkup -V01-V14 meaning ?? (Value 15.01 & up)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by K4S2, Dec 28, 2021.

1. K4S2

K4S2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota checked my "big battery" recently..... There is a Parameter column (eg "Battery Block Vol -V01" (to V14), a Value column & a Unit column (eg "V" for Value items). The Rep. marked the Values above 15.10 with dark yellow marker. I assume that's to tell me those cells are weak?? There are 2 at 15.02, one at 15.03, five at 15.04, 2 at 15.05, one at 15.07, two at 15.10 and one at 15.11. Um... what does that mean for the health of my hybrid battery? Just because it's 13 years old....it's suggested I trade up to a new one. OR.... does this battery evaluation also say I should trade it in? :-(

I don't want to trade "up" as for me that would be DOWN. I LOVE the Gen 2 storage for the driver & passenger: TWO glove-boxes, one big armrest-console with a USB charge station (lid opening from the front), a check-book holder (under Climate/Audio) & sunglass holder above rear-view mirror, a pull>front drawerfor charging cords, etc. (beneath the gear-shift) -& the door "bins" all hold a bottle with a "keep cool" sleeve + jars with pens, lotion, etc. His 2005 was just like my "End of Gen" 2009.

I don't WANT to get one like my husband's 2018 G 4 -with 1 small glove-box: the console lid OPENing > the driver (short spouse can't see into it, seat-belted) and a med-lg "indented hole" under the Audio System -& the door bins ONLY holding a cheap plastic drink bottle & a few maps. (I use GPS anyway)....

So.... hopefully someone who knows the "Value" ratings of my big battery cells will say it's OK to keep....!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Quick expanation:

Your hybrid battery is built using 28 individual modules, each at ~7.2 volts (but ranges up to ~8 volts each), to make one big, 202+ volt battery, just like many flashlights have multiple small 1.5 volts batteries inside to make a 6 volt flashlight.

The computer for the battery is wired to monitor the modules in pairs, so it should always see ~14.4+ volts on each pair. A pair is called a block, so you have 14 "blocks" in the battery. Those readings are the voltage readings for each block. The closer they are to each other, the better, and yours look pretty good. A code will activate if they differ by more than ~1.3 volts between any two blocks. The battery voltages are always fluctuating depending on charge or discharge mode, and at what level of current. Based only on a single reading of voltages, there is no way to actually say if a battery is 'good'. But, with your voltages ranging between 15.02 and 15.11 volts, I'd say it's likely in pretty good shape.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the dealer make you pay for this service?

How many miles on the vehicle/battery, and have you ever cleaned the HV battery fan?

If you want to help the battery last longer, park in the shade/garage/carport with the windows cracked, use the AC when temps are over 75F.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you like your car, then there is no reason not to keep it and repair things as needed. It doesn't surprise me that someone working for a car dealership wants you to buy a new car.

As mentioned, that report shows the voltages of the battery "blocks". It is a static measurement that doesn't tell the whole story of the battery's condition. Eventually you will need to replace the battery (which would likely be $2-3k for a Toyota battery installed), but if it drives ok, decent mpg, no warning lights, - then just drive it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.