Hybrid battery cooling fan filter, where to buy & how often to change?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GalaxyRain, Jun 2, 2021.

1. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    So how often do you all clean versus change your cooling fan filters and where do you buy them? When I take my car in for regular maintenance (i.e. oil changes) will they at least vacuum it out?

PtPri likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is foam, just wash it. no, they will not vacuum it out.

unless you carry shedding pets, it's no big deal. more important to keep the grille clear

3. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I don’t but I just figured I’d do it myself because I thought I read something about dealerships wanting to charge $300+ dollars if they actually change it. The maintenance manual says to inspect it every 5K and clean it every 20K but I don’t see any harm in cleaning or even changing it sooner if it’s only like a $10 part. I build computers and I know it’s important to keep the intake/cooling fans clean.

PtPri and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, the dealer has them. sometimes cheaper online or you can look for aftermarket using the part number.
    there are a nuber of low price dealers online. check camelback and olathe toyota just to mention a couple.

5. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    By camelback do you mean CamelCamelCamel? The only camelbak I know of makes water bottles and hydration packs :)

Is there a way to find the part number without taking out my filter? If I just search for 2021 Prius cooling fan filter will I find it?

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    camelback toyota.
    more than likely. it may not even be on the filter. you can also ask a dealer parts counter, while asking the price.

GalaxyRain likes this.
  7. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Traction battery fan filter | Page 2 | PriusChat

Dealership should have it. If you typically don’t have passengers and keep the back not that dirty, the filter wouldn’t be bad. If you have pets and passengers, check every 6 months-year. Pets that shed are biggest culprits for those clogs. I checked at year 2 and it was still extremely clean.

PtPri likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $300 to change a filter seems preposterous (my word of the day). Maybe it was for full clean out of the ductwork and fan itself too?

Not sure how effective the filter is, but a full cleaning, of everything, is warranted at least once, if only to see where you’re at. It might be just a little dusty, or virtually a hair ball, depending on situation. Shedding dogs for example. With a few tools it’s readily DIY’able.

9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I changed it late last year after owning the car for over three years, at the time, and it was barely dirty. Then again, I'm the only person in the car 99.9% of the time.