1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery cooling fan running constantly, lots of warning lights!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kinsemfarms, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Kinsemfarms

Kinsemfarms Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some years back this forum helped me with my "farm" '05 prius when a host of bells and whistles went off, cooling fan ran more than normal, and I lost power a couple of times. Turned out this farm prius had an accumulation of dirt, dog hair, hay and other debris that needed to be cleaned out. You got me through the whole process, and the car's run fine until.... . Fast forward a couple of years to 200,003 miles. Now the cooling fan is running pretty constantly, the red triangle stays lit, the check engine light comes on, the (!) is on, and the VSC light is on. Haven't hooked it up to check codes, but did check cooling fan and it's clean. Would it possibly possibly help to change the 12 volt battery? And if not, please help this old farm girl with your ideas. Thank you so much!

Kathy in Asheville, NC

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kathy,

I would hook up a Prius aware scanner and see if you get a P0A80 code along with P03XXX codes. If you don't see that with a good Prius aware scanner then I would check the voltage of the 12 volt. It wont hurt to check the 12 volt. Chances are it is weak especially if the battery is original. But I suspect the 12 volt might be only part of the problem.

You have the symptoms of a possible traction battery failure but without the codes it is a wild guess at this time.

Also make certain that you see turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir under the hood when in "Ready Mode".

Note: Not all scanners are Prius Aware. Just because the scanner you are using does not show a code mean that there are no codes present. A trip to the dealer may be in order for a "diagnostic only" service. In other words, ask for the codes to be pulled but not have any other work done. Also ask the dealer to furnish you with all the codes they found. You can expect to pay a one hour service charge for the diagnostic which varies from dealer to dealer.

If you have access to a laptop that has the mini vci set up on it, that will be equivalent to what the dealer uses. The dealer uses what is known as "Techstream" software. It is rather expensive, that is one of the reasons why the mini vci is so popular here on Prius Chat. You can find the mini vci on Ebay and Amazon. It runs on a 32 bit Windows based system (XP or Win7) I believe you can run it on a Mac if you are running bootcamp, but I am not a Mac expert.

Below is a link that will lead you to a google search for the mini vci.

Google

Best of luck to you and I hope this information helps you.

Ron (dorunron)

3. Kinsemfarms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ron - You have uttered the dreaded "possible traction battery failure" words, which I was afraid of. But, I'll take it over to the dealer next week and have them hook her up to see what codes pop up. (I did check the voltage on the 12 volt a while back, and it was a little low. I have a new battery so I'll replace that. Optimism never hurts). Can you elaborate a bit on checking turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir under the hood when in "Ready Mode." That's something I don't know about. But most of all thanks so much for reading my post and sending a response. I'll follow up after I get the codes!

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/hybrid-battery-cooling-fan-running-constantly-lots-of-warning-lights.138713/#ixzz2w5RRGx44
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To check for turbulence you simply put the Prius in "Ready Mode"

Then raise the hood and look at the side of the inverter coolant reservoir. The backside (closest to the windshield) of the reservoir fluid level will look higher than the front side. Note that you are looking at the side of the bottle or in other words looking at the reservoir from the side of the car. If the Prius is not in ready mode, the level of the fluid should be even from front to back. But in "Ready Mode" the fluid tends to look higher in the back versus the front of the bottle. Below is a picture of the inverter coolant reservoir that I am referring to.

ours.JPG

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would not be a bad idea for you to run the test to check the 12 volt with the MFD. Link in my signature below (Test the 12 volt battery).

Post back all three values. Also best to run the test after the Prius has set overnight BEFORE you drive it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    press brake and push power button for 'ready mode'.

dorunron likes this.
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1, especially if Kathy doesn't know what "Ready Mode" is or understand the term used here on Prius Chat.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery fan is a fairly consistent clue. At 200,000 miles in an often hot climate, you are doing very well if the traction battery is just now ready for repair. And you are hopefully close to one of the Dorman Battery installers, such as Taylor Automotive:
    Dorman Hybrid Drive Batteries - Installers

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To be honest, that event may have somewhat hastened your traction battery's demise.

I had a similar event the first summer that I owned my 2005 Prius (s/h in 2009). You've got to hand it to the dealers and their detailing - the car was immaculate inside and out when we picked it up. You would have sworn it was owned by the proverbial little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. That was until I had to open up the back to clean the fan and ducting - then all of a sudden it looked like the previous owner had been breeding ferrets in the back seat or something! :eek:

Anyway, in my case I might have been lucky in that I think I caught it fairly early. No warning lights or loss of power, but a few minor driving anomalies and the fan running a lot more alerted me to it.

10. Kinsemfarms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you guys have been tremendously helpful. The dealer ran the codes and said the one that showed up, (he didn't give us a printout), was P080A. He said that was the hybrid battery, and that the 10 and 11 blocks were where the problem is. I've watched a number of videos online about how to change the cells, and maybe 3 years ago, I would have felt better about doing it myself. What happened between 59 and 62, not sure, but I think part of it has to do with the warnings about not doing it if you're not familiar with a voltimeter or multimeter and some other tool. While I'm not that familiar with the tools, the videos were quite good. But, I'd like to find someone who has the ability to do this. I really do feel pretty fortunate that I've eeked out 203,000 miles on it. After all, it is a farm prius that's hauled animals, hay, feed, dirt, and every other manner of particulate, though I fell short of breeding ferrets in the back of the car. Close, but no cigar. So, I'm going to check out the Dorman site and see what's up there. But if there's someone out there who can replace the 2 cells within maybe a 2 to 3 hour drive of Asheville, NC, let me know! Thanks for taking care of this little old lady who did more than drive to church every week!

MIKA11, uart and usnavystgc like this.
  11. Kinsemfarms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked Dorman dealers. Closest installer is in Sanford or Chapel Hill, both about 4 hours away. Looks like they just replace batteries, and not individual cells? Would like to try the cell route if possible, but wondering what's the lifespan, (or does anyone know yet), of a battery that's had individual cells replaced? Do the rest of the cells start to fall apart in short order, or will the battery last for a good while after that? And, I'd need to find someone who could do it. Wondering if I should go ahead and get a new, (or rebuilt), battery instead of just the cells. Again, on limited budget, so I wouldn't even think about getting the dealer to do the job if the whole battery ought to be replaced. (If the closest place is Chapel Hill, I could always tow the prius with my truck, so that is actually an option if I do end up having to do the whole battery). I see Taylor Automotive in Sanford does give a 3 year warranty with the battery that sounds pretty good since the Prius is semi-retired at this point, and it won't be doing the 20K plus miles per year that it used to do! Thanks again.

12. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are close enough that you might want to check out "autobeyours" in Scottsburg, Indiana. Steve is standup guy, and pretty much a guru of Gen 2 Prii. The page linked below says he has rebuilt HV packs for $1095 installed, which seems like a decent price. A number of folks on this list have bought rebuilt salvage Prius from Steve over the years (myself included) and I can't say enough good things about both his skill and support.

Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV

Good luck!

Rob

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    replacing cells isn't as easy as it sounds, or else the dealer would be doing it. it's a slow complicated proceedure of charging and testing. it's great for knowledgable diy'ers because it's all time and labor and few parts and chargers. but to send it out, you have to pay for all that. you might be better off looking around for a decent total replacement or trading the car in. all the best!(y)

14. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might find someone who is willing to do individual cells, but the challenge is it takes time. The whole pack has to be torn down and each cell characterized to assess its health. Then you need a supply of "good" cells so substitute in for the weak ones. Preferably having a variety of cells to chose from to pick those best matched to the cells being left in. I'm guessing most commercial outfits are going to prefer to rebuild the packs on their own time (basically the same procedure as above) and have a few ready to just swap out for customers who need one at a flat rate rather than having you down for a week or two while your pack is rebuilt. Its always worth asking though!

Rob

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Taylor Automotive has a really good reputation. I suggest giving them a call and discussing options of pack Vs module replacement.

16. Kinsemfarms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Rod, for that link. Looks like a good site, and maybe a 6 - 7 hour drive or so. Not too bad.

17. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Note that it is possible to travel at highway speeds without much battery use. On level terrain, at constant speed, the engine does all the work. The energy display shows no arrows going to or from the battery under that circumstance. So you can go long distances without a problem if you are careful.

I agree that a rebuilt pack is your best option. Cell replacement is for DIY types.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I gave Sanford Automotive a call since I suspect traction battery problems is not too far into my future. Dave Taylor sold his garage to the MacGills, and now works down the street in the hybrid battery rebuilding shop of Dorman.

As for the Dorman remanufactured batteries, Mr. MacGill was kind enough to answer my question by email of which modules are used in the rebuiling:
    Since I personally only want lightly used and pretty new G3 modules in a remanufactured battery, I will avoid the Dorman option. If I cannot find a rebuilt battery to my liking I'll simply buy a new Toyota one and look for a less expensive installation than the dealership.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi SageBrush. At the moment you're only showing the 2012 V wagon in your profile. I assume that you've still got your old gen2 and that's what you're referring to here. Is that correct?

Anyway, I'm just wondering if you're getting any early warning symptoms of battery failure, or if the prediction is just based on age and mileage.

20. Kinsemfarms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Sagebrush, for that information. You are much more knowledgeable than I am! With 200,003 miles, a 3 year warranty will buy me a lot of time. I may try to see what I can get a new battery for, but I have a feeling I'll drop back to the rebuilt. You were so nice to make the call to Taylor.