1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery covered by insurance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeeper5usa, Jun 1, 2013.

1. jeeper5usa

jeeper5usa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the hybrid battery covered by car insurance if it goes bad? My GFs Prius just crapped out. She was getting red triangle and was resetting it a few times with a ODBD reader, but it has gotten worse and won't go away, but we don't have the money to replace right now. Will insurance cover this cost?

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    not that I know of

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will insurance cover anything unless you're in an accident, theft or fire? might still be under warranty, are you in a carb state? how many miles on her? welcome to priuschat btw, all the best!(y)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you replaced the 12v battery yet? All kinds of false codes appear when the small battery is near death.

kmsbanr and cwerdna like this.
  6. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends on your insurance. There are additions to insurance that cover repairs on a car including the battery. I know I had the option in my policy. But, I figured that I wouldn't have my car long enough to outlive the Toyota Warranty on the battery, so why add that expense? Although, I need to stop driving around the country so that I don't get to 100,000 miles before that eight year mark. ;) The best thing to do is just have her look at the coverage she has on the car, or just call the insurance company. In the end, if she has the coverage, it all depends on the deductible and if using insurance for that expense will affect the premium.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt it. Can you check to your warranty booklet to see if NJ is included in the California hybrid system/battery 10 year/150K mile warranty coverage? States got added over time.

What codes are you getting?

Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight (or you can use a voltmeter). Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on the original 12 volt, it's at end of life now.

kmsbanr and kenoarto like this.