1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery died a hair over 2 years after replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cosmo413, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Cosmo413

Cosmo413 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    All,

Just over two years ago, March 25, 2016 my hybrid battery died. The dealership wanted $3600 for repair. I went to a hybrid shop that specializes in battery replacement, and got it replaced for around $2000, with a 2 year warranty. On April 4, 2018, two years and nine days after replacement, the battery died again. To say I'm irked would be an understatement, but I may not have any real recourse here, it's over warranty. But my question is, how have other people fared following a battery replacement? Have I just had bad luck, or is this a common phenomenon?

The only thing I may be able to hang my hat on, with respect to restitution, is the shop told me this battery should be able to last a very long time. As a matter of fact, the near exact words were "If your last battery lasted 10 years, there's no reason this should be any different". No, very different indeed.

Thanks in advance for any response!

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm assuming that you bypassed the OEM battery at the high cost and went with a lower priced rebuilt battery. If so, 2 uninterrupted years is pretty good for a rebuilt battery, based on what I've read around here.

Even if your battery failed a couple of months ago, then you would have received a short term fix, like replacing a bad module. That would have brought you over the 2 year finish line, but would have left you in a similar situation sometime in the near future, IMO. I'm guessing that your hybrid shop would be able to patch up your rebuilt traction battery for a reasonable fee.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^agreed^^^ 2 years is a great run for remanufactured batteries. hopefully, they will do something reasonable for you, but don't expect reliability until you purchase a newer car.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you would have truly bought a "new" battery, they would have offered a better warranty but it was simply a rebuilt/remanufactured pack with good but used cells; however, you've done better than many.

What is killing all my Hybrid Batteries?! 3 batteries have failed. | PriusChat

Dorman Battery Experiences | PriusChat

The good news is battery prices have fallen. I got a new Toyota battery installed last summer for $2500 total and that one I expect to last just as long as the first. Since then, the pack price has dropped to as low as $1650 (plus installation, taxes, core charge, etc) at SOME dealerships. There is also a PC member here selling a set of new Chinese cells for about $1600 (currently backordered).

I mentioned this once before but if Toyota would like to earn a tremendous amount of goodwill and improved reputation, they should drop their price to $1,000 for the pack (REGARDLESS OF PROFIT) so with dealer installation, taxes, etc it would be about $1500 OTD or less. Car values would improve (eventually trickling up to new Prius prices) and dealers would get a lot more business plus more chances to up-sell additional services (tuneups, brakes, etc) because the customer is now more likely to put additional money/repairs into a "new car". Win-win-win.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is the Toyota warranty on installed new batteries now, 3 years?

With a new Toyota battery, I'd think the odds of that coming to past are a lot better. I think the price of Toyota batteries has dropped recently. To get the 3 year warranty you need to let them install it, and that's been typically at least a grand extra. Which is basically $300 labour and $700 warranty. Pro install does save a lot of shipping hassle, core charges and any chance of finger pointing, if there's problems.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A new Toyota battery is now less than 1500$, get one, have Toyota install it, be glad you got two years outof brand X.

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You still never shared your source of where new “Toyota” batteries are being sold for $1500 or less.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly. i thought we were done with this.:rolleyes:

The Electric Me and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only when the source is revealed and the “facts” aren’t conveyed in multiple threads;).

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US, 1 year if DIY, 3 years if dealer installed. I do not know what the warranty is for you in Canada. ;)

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody else also said $1625 plus shipping. Although there are a few dealers advertising the $1625 price. all I have seen explicitly state they do NOT ship the battery

I think a few people here need to put up their evidence or shut up!

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some dealers also refuse to sell the battery without them installing it. If that price is not generally available in most of the US, quit quoting it unless the user is local to a known discounter!

14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031) | Toyota Parts

I still see posts stating the batteries are 3500$, the link is one source, having the dealer install extends the warrantee, to much miscomunication, alternate fact chum.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, that may be an option for somebody near Olathe , KS. For dealers that list shipping for parts I have not seen any offering hybrid battery pack shipping.
    @ericbecky has enough documentation on Toyota hybrid battery warranty to prove it to a Toyota dealer. That does not sould like alternate facts to me.
    Here is a copy of an official internal dealer memo.

From Toyota Increases Warranty on Replacement Prius Hybrid Battery. Now 3 years, Unlimited miles | PriusChat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That's an interesting document presentation you've got going there @Prodigyplace . How you do that? If it's involved, just say so, I've only got two brain cells.

Maybe $3500 is still a typical out-the-door cost with install/warranty?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At any rate it is still NOT less than $1500;).

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First of all, thanks to Lucifer for posting the link.

Out of curiosity, I called the dealership (in KC) and they were very helpful in explaining the pricing structure for the $1,625 hybrid battery. Prodigyplace is correct that the battery is offered at $1,625, only if you get it installed at that specific dealership. The installation estimate is 5 hours labor at $120/hour = $600.

The best case scenario is before taxes, you'll be looking at around $2,200 (with an OEM battery core exchanged). How does that compare with other OEM batteries for sale and installed by a dealership?

However, there is a catch for Cosmo412's situation. The $2,200 price is only available if there is an original OEM battery being replaced. If there is an aftermarket traction battery already in place, then there will be an additional core charge of $1,350, bringing the total to $3,550.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The linked posting has a photo on OneDrive. I just copied that address & PriusChat decided to display it. Some of Danny's hidden magic, I guess.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG! 5 HOURS! Are they freaking NUTZ?!?!?!?!!?

I had never even had a HV battery out of a Prius before and after reviewing the process, had ours out, tested and back in in 90 minutes.

DAMN, I'm in the wrong business. I could do one a day for $600 and sell the batteries at zero markup and still be living high off the hog.

BTW, most Hybrid Shops charge maybe 2 hours for this???

#20 05PreeUs, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.