1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Error

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by aftab, Jun 2, 2018.

1. aftab

aftab New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having a issue in my toyota prius c 2013 my odo is 53300 my car is giving me the error code on engine light P0A80 after searching out the internet i found the code says the hybrid battery needs to be replaced after some thorogh reading i came to know this code occure due to corroded busses in hybid battery or bad cell . So i took off my cars battery opend it and saw that all the buses were crodded heavily so i removed the corrosion and tested the individual cell from all of the cells i got the reading from apm meter of 8.16 volts thats the good reading after reading all the cells that were all equal to 8.16 and removing the corrosion i put the battery back in the car and after about driving for 6km the check engine light came up again with the same code P0A80 i dont know what to do now please anyone help me out i can not affors the whole battery replacement thanks in advance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any chance your 2013 with 53k is still under warranty? Especially for the hybrid portions?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to test the battery under load.

4. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    This code is set when the HV ECU sees a difference in voltage between modules. Typical agreed upon threshold for setting the code is a difference of 1.2v between the highest and lowest module.

When there is no current, the blocks will all be the same value. However, when there is current, different resistance between modules/blocks/cells will cause different voltage readings. If the disparity is too great, it'll set a code. This is where the corrosion problem comes in... Corrosion on the terminals can be a source of resistance, and cause one or more blocks have different voltage readings under load.

However, in the vast majority of cases, it's not terminal corrosion, but resistance in the modules themselves, that causes the problem. If you've cleaned the terminals and still have the problem, you need a new battery.

Aftermarket and reman batteries are always a bad choice. Low mileage used batteries are sometimes a good choice. Depending on where you are, Toyota has a rebate on the old battery that cuts a huge portion out of the cost of replacement. Here in Japan, it's about $1,500 for a new battery on a C (Aqua) including installation at the dealer. In hot and humid locations, we see batteries go bad in your age/mileage range, so it's not uncommon, but you should talk to Toyota about replacing it under warranty.

Here's a really good article on P0A80, and actually "testing" the battery: Art's Automotive

5. aftab

aftab New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    No brother it is imported from japan to pakistan

6. aftab

aftab New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Tested the battery each cell gives the same reading when giving the load

7. aftab

aftab New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Appreciated man but unfortunately here in pakistan there is no way i can get a battery that would do the problem solve hope to get one imported from japan or US

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the battery measures within parameters under a correct load test, your problem lies elsewhere.

9. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to say that your information is not correct.
    Used batteries and individual cells are commonly available. Pls share your location (city) I will give you contacts who can help you solve this issue.

Saad Moten likes this.
  10. Saad Moten

Saad Moten New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    Can you please guide me for Islamabad, whom to contact for diagnosis and changing the cell of hybrid battery.

11. Oic120

Oic120 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello there
    I am also having trouble with the batter, did you by any chance happen to import a battery please help me out here.

12. Oic120

Oic120 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello Mohsin, I am in Islamabad, can you please guide me who can help me?

13. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    REHMAN AUTOS MAIN IJP ROAD OPPOSITE TO IJP METRO BUS STATION RAWALPINDI (263.03 km)
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan.

0300 5220091