1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery looses charge.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by katiesdad7, Apr 13, 2011.

1. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had my 11 prius since Janurary. I took it to the dealer for its first service (5k). I told them that the hybrid battery goes way down (to about 2 bars) after sitting for about 8 - 10 hours. They said that this is normal. The computer does it so the batter will last longer.

Does this sound right?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends... what is the charge at the time of shutdown? Mine rarely even drops one bar over night.

Forget what the dealer says... they have no clue.

Personally I would check for a draw with an ammeter.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trust the spider, your dealer told you a load of nonsense. The car doesn't ever want the traction battery to get down to 2 bars. Before you take it back, let's ask the dumb question: are you actually turning it off when you park it?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope no one gets injured when the charge is loosed. Does it look like a lightning bolt?

;)

Tom

2 people like this.
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Annoying, isn't it? This is the kind of subtle editing mods should do. ;) Just make sure it's hidden in the T's & C's "In order to minimize sarcasm and other cheap humor we reserve the right to reformat your posts to correct typographical, orthographical and grammatical errors. Trolling and factual errors will be left unedited since nothing ups the traffic like a good argument."

3 people like this.
  6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The person at the dealership who answered your question is either a moron or just gave you a load of bull.

This is not normal behavior of the car or battery.

My question is, does it drain after each time you drive the car, or only occasionally?

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or they could be a moron who gave you a load of bull. The two choices are not mutually exclusive. :madgrin:

2 people like this.
  8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

Agreed

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This 8-10 hours - is it overnight or even when parked up at work during the day?

Is an interior light switched on by mistake? Have you checked the light in the trunk? Are you sitting and listening to the radio for 30 mins with the car out of 'Ready' mode before you go into work etc?

What level is the HV battery at when you turn the car off? If you've left it at 2 or 3 bars then it'll be there when you switch on.

One last thing (and someone has already picked up on this); are you 100% sure you're actually turning the car off out of 'Ready' mode when you leave it?

10. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1, sad the dealer service did not pickup on this.

OP,You have a major drain on your traction battery and you need to find the problem soon.

11. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen an extension cord running from the trunk and the neighbors running all their lights lately?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  12. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the OP has not come back to check his post......I'm not taking my time or effort to answer his question.......

Post a question.....follow it up....you will get help. !!!

13. 1sgret

1sgret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also have noticed that the main hybrid battery will lose some of its charge during overnight parking 8 to 14 hours). It does not happen all of the time, but I have noticed it. The interior lights are not left on and the ready light, as well as all dash lights are off. I now pay attention to the battery level before I shut the vehicle off. I insure that the vehicle is off. It usually has a full or almost full charge prior to being turned off. When it does discharge, it goes down to about 4 bars.

I also told the head mechanic at my dealer and he did not hear of this problem before. But like most of you I do not have a high trust level where car dealers are concerned.

2010 Gen III Prius with 24 fuel-ups, purchased in Jan, 2011

14. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had the odd situation where charge has gone up overnight.

It's not hysteresis because, it went up two bars. It is probably some kind of glitch in a sensor.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interior lights have nothing to do with the HV battery. As for losing charge, remember that the SOC display is only an approximation of the real charge. It's not easy to determine how much juice is left in a battery. You can't use a simple float sender like you do with a gas tank (and even those aren't all that accurate). Often you will see some swing in SOC because of temperature changes. The battery hasn't really lost charge, but ambient conditions have changed.

Tom

3 people like this.
  16. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know SOC was almost a grey area with batteries anyway and the auto manufacturers are not only trying to up the extended range on traction batteries, but build in some kind of reliable SOC status. Interesting stuff. Thanks Tom.

17. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It mostly happens when I go to school during the day. Its fully charged when I park it but when I get back in it the battery has only 2 bars left. I have no clue what is causing this. My car also has the sun roof and solar charger so it shouldn't drain at all.

What the dealer told me didn't sound right but since the prius is new to me I had to go with it.

18. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's something very wrong with your car. Take it to a different dealer under warranty (they all can service your car). Your existing dealer seems to be staffed with idiots. This won't cost you a dime, and they may provide a loaner.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unless OP is parking at the end of a long down hill drive I do not know why the traction battery would usually be 'full.'

IF this thread is not trolling, then I also vote for OP not turning the car off completely.

20. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your solar panel charges your HV battery? is that what the dealership told you?