1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mardnus, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Mardnus

Mardnus New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 prius, with 103,000miles in Atlanta, GA.. Nalley Toyota suggested that I be prepared to replace my battery from 110,000 miles onwards, else the inverter can get affected. And each of these can cost 4-5k each.. Have others replaced their hybrid battery and after how many years of driving and/or mileage please?

2. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on my experience the age of your car is the biggest factor when it comes to battery failures. 75% of the batteries that I replaced last year were in 2007 Prius with mileage anywhere between 100,000 and 220,000 miles. I still get the 2006's regularly and occasionally an 05 or 04. Never anything newer than that. I think your safe for at least 2-3 years.
    Also never heard of a battery damaging an invererter. That's normally caused by hooking up jumper cables backwards. New batteries are $2500 if you put it in yourself. And $3500 if you have the dealer put it in.

Matt

wjtracy, orenji and S Keith like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II has 108,000 miles on the odometer with no problems (so far) with the traction battery, and here's my preventative solution:
    Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive
    You might to do well to read all you can about Grid Charging to prolong the life of your hybrid battery - it's an easy to effect insurance policy! Good luck, and welcome to PriusChat! - hope this helps - Wil

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in some ways , the dealer is right. your warranty is up, so being prepared is a good thing. but on average, it's probably closer to 150-175,000 miles. and many do much better of course. i wouldn't spend any time thinking about it.
    i have never heard of the battery damaging the inverter, this is a strange statement. be prepared to replace the battery, or else the inverter can be affected. so as long as your prepared, the inverter won't be affected?o_O

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any chance the dealership was advising you to change the 12 volt battery ($250) instead of the Hybrid battery? ($2500)

Incorrectly Jump starting the 12 volt battery could harm the inverter.

A 2009 with the original 12 volt battery would not be insane to replace. (Any more than 4 years is a bonus for a 12 volt car battery) The dealer should offer a 84 month warranty.

m.wynn, wjtracy and orenji like this.
  6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I replaced my hybrid battery after 125K miles in desert mountains in Arizona, probably the worst condition for batteries (heat and cycles). And it never totally failed. I noticed failing charge capacity in the hills and a slight decrease in fuel economy, so I proactively replaced it. I also heard the battery cooling fan coming on more often, a bad sign of heat in the battery. Yours should give some warning if you pay attention.

As others have said, a failed hybrid battery won't kill the inverter. That's one less thing to worry about.

Ditto the advice about paying close attention to the 12V battery.