1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery recondintioning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kapana91, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Kapana91

Kapana91 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    Let's help each other and find out about the effectiveness and correct use of these and similar devices
    I will share my experience with you, I also have questions and ask competent people to respond

This procedure doesn't just apply to damaged hybrid batteries that lights up the "check hybrid", it also applies to batteries that are simply old but in good condition to prevent future damage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I personally have been reading information about this for a long time, but unfortunately no one has given me an exhaustive answer.

Many videos have been circulated about restoring hybrid batteries with this and similar equipment, as can be seen from individual so-called. With exercises, the battery returns its lost capacity, (probably it can't do anything to a very dead battery if the module in the bank itself is damaged)
    In general, as far as I know, any type of battery can be revived by completely emptying it and then recharging it (this cycle may take several times).
    By emptying it to the end, the chemical processes start again and the accumulator seems to recover its strength (of course, this does not apply to the accumulator in which the banks have already been disassembled).
    Well, all this is clear, but now let's get down to business and find out how to use this device correctly and how to get the maximum result.
    In short, there are applications that calculate the average percentage of the remaining capacity of the current batteries, then they are restored with the help of this device, then it is checked again with the application and the percentages increase :) That is, we return to the factory state, it's really amazing

I personally carried out the mentioned procedure on one of my cars and got some results, let's find out how logical it was. Long story short, I bought a 2015 Prius, I didn't do any service, I just checked the capacity with the app and it showed 55.27%, after that I started the procedures, cleaned the cooler, cleaned the contacts, cleaned everything possible in the hybrid, after that I started to rebuild them one by one with this device and get 73.76 % (I checked a week later, not immediately) recondintioning procedure done according to the instructions which was found on the Internet

All batteries reached the maximum capacity of 7500, some on the first try, some 2 or 3, I expected more results, what do you think I did wrong or what was needed in addition to give more results, for example 80 - 90%

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Precharge time: OFF (I didn't understand what it means)
    Wait time CHG>DCHG: 5min (waiting time between charging and discharging, probably for cooling)
    NiMH sens: D.Peak Default (I didn't understand what it means)
    Temp Cut-off: ON 80C (176F) (this is understandable, but the sensors are nowhere to be seen, how the device will know the temperature)
    Safety timer: 720 min. (In my opinion, this is the time limit so that the procedure does not exceed this time in total)
    Capaciti Cut-off: 7500 Mah (this is understandable, but my biggest question mark here is why they indicate 7500, when it is 6500 at the factory, I also saw that it indicated 8500, this is the main question and let's separate it separately)

[​IMG]
    1) Discharge/Charge (sequence of procedures, start with discharge and then charge)
    2) Charge: 3.0A (to be charged with 3.0 amperes)
    3) Discharge: 1.0A (discharge by 1.0 ampere)
    4) Cycle: 3 (3 attempts to reach capacity)
    5) Auto chrg cur limit: 3.0A (I don't understand why this is a separate parameter, automatic charging limit)
    6) Discharge: 1.0 A 6.0 V (this parameter is also separate, but it can be detailed here, that is, it can be increased by 1.0 amps to 6 volts)

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If I do this I'm using a charger and discharger that does the whole pack at one time not individual modules that takes way too long so you have to have a rack of very good and no worse than decent modules to work with which can be getting tricky to get hold of. All batteries aren't going to return to their original state from charge discharge cycles you'll get back some but I don't know you won't necessarily be going back to 90 or 100%. It's always a crap shoot that's why some call it whack a mole If you have a lot more time than money then that is a game that may keep you entertained for a while if you really need the vehicle you'll probably buy a battery I have seen guys that build them and make them up for like $750 I bought one from a guy and it's doing very well very happy with it.

3. Kapana91

Kapana91 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't understand me, my goal is not to buy some guy's refurbished batteries, he won't do anything different or special to them.
    Restoring batteries is not new to me, I have heard about it in general and tried it on many other types of batteries, using different methods.
    I can't agree with you that this procedure is better than the whole pack, because when you connect 28 batteries in sequence, you will never know which one cost more and which one less, and it takes more time for each individual module, but you can see what it can do on each module.
    I know that not everyone can recover, I tried this procedure on other used batteries as well, I just didn't use it in the car anymore, out of about 20 pieces, 5-6 reached 7500, 3-4 reached 5500 to 6700 and the rest less, it's just I did it for interest.
    But as I discussed this was already the subject of my personal car, my batteries all reached 7500 easily, and I therefore expected more results.
    As I know the arrangement of the elements is also important in the work, in the middle it is better to be strong than weak, with this in mind, I am wondering if there is a benefit to rotating the elements, if the factory arrangement is intact, to simply reverse it after disassembly.