1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rschulzejr, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

I am the proud owner of two Priuses, a 2002 and a 2007. My daughter drives the 2002.

Recently, a warning light came on her car, and she took it into the dealer where service came up with the following code:

P3000P3009C1259

After 5 days of waiting (the dealer told us they had to have the codes interpreted by the national service center before they could attempt a repair) we were told that the auxiliary battery needed to be repaired. The total bill for this was $392. I thought, ok, no battery lasts forever--fair enough--but I was surprised that it was a) so expensive, and b) took so long to replace a simple, regular battery.

A couple of weeks later, the same warning light came on, so we took it to the dealer again. This time the service code (as printed on my receipt) was:

P3009 leak detect from hi voltage sys
    P3000 HV battery malf
    C1259 malf in HV ECU
    Found signs of HV battery leaking on 5 or 6 cell blocks

The dealer replaced the hybrid battery pack under warranty.

Looking at the codes from the first service visit, they seem to contain the same codes as the second. My question is this: should the hybrid battery pack have been replaced the first time? Also, should I have been charged for the auxiliary battery, since replacing that clearly did not fix the problem?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the auxilury battery was the original, it was due for a replacement anyway. They likely just cleared the codes as a wait & confirm measure. Then when the identical ones showed up again, it was a good case for warranty replacement.

However, that does beg the question of whether or not the SSC was ever done to prevent leaks. A sealant should have been applied to each cell to keep that very situation from ever happening.

3. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

Hi John,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Forgive my ignorance, but what's an "SSC"?

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Special Service Campaign

In this case, I was curious about SSC 40G

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that after seven years it was reasonable to replace the 12V battery, but agree with you that $392 is a very high price. The parts counter price should be ~$160 and you may have had to pay an additional $40 for a new battery bracket and associated hardware.

Further as you pointed out, the DTC that were logged really had nothing to do with the 12V battery. The service writer should have advised you that the plan was to clear the codes to see if they would recur.

If you owned the car since new, do you recall receiving a recall notice to have the battery modules sealed? The car may have a sticker on the driver's door jamb showing the SSC number.

6. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

I have owned the car since new, and have always had regular services at the dealer. I do not remember any recalls re the hybrid batteries. All of this begs another question: how long should we expect for the hybrid battery packs to last? I'm happy that mine lasted 7 years, had good value during that time, and especially that they were replaced under warranty.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What was the odometer reading on your 2002 when the traction battery was replaced?

I've attached a copy of the dealer notification regarding SSC 40G so that you can see what was involved. The customer notice letter provided a lesser level of detail.

The traction battery in my 2001 was replaced at ~61K miles under warranty when the car was 5 years old, due to DTC P3006. This code means that one or more of the 38 modules had a lower state of charge compared to the other modules. This is a different issue than the problem your battery faced, where electrolyte leakage resulted in DTC P3009, the high voltage leak code. The battery sealing work had previously been done to my battery.

We've already seen a reasonable minority of Classic owners having their batteries replaced. The lucky ones have benefited from the hybrid system warranty; while the unlucky ones have had to pay for the replacement themselves (or in some cases have been able to obtain and install a salvage battery.)

I would expect that Classic owners in areas with high summer temps would see a higher % of traction battery failures as time passes, due to high ambient temperatures promoting electrolyte loss.

Attached Files:

8. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member