1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement - 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chopperman83, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Chopperman83

Chopperman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok - I know this has been beaten to death already, but I also see the co$t and answers seem to change as often as your typical laptop.

It'll have to be a DIY project, so I need to ask a couple of questions:

- anyone have experience using/installing a Gen 2 battery rebuilt with Gen 3 cells? Any special concerns?

- anyone know of a current special with or without exchange?

I'm in WV and there's no competition on hybrid parts/services here. I don't happen to have a spare $3500 laying around. Fortunately, 32 years in the Army (automotive/aircraft maintenance) and another 10 years working in industrial electronic & instrument repair/maintenance allows me a fairly high level of confidence I can do this as easily as the videos portray.

2. Chopperman83

Chopperman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok - I know this has been beaten to death already, but I also see the co$t and answers seem to change as often as your typical laptop.

It'll have to be a DIY project, so I need to ask a couple of questions:

- anyone have experience using/installing a Gen 2 battery rebuilt with Gen 3 cells? Any special concerns?

- anyone know of a current special with or without exchange?

I'm in WV and there's no competition on hybrid parts/services here. I don't happen to have a spare $3500 laying around. Fortunately, 32 years in the Army (automotive/aircraft maintenance) and another 10 years working in industrial electronic & instrument repair/maintenance allows me a fairly high level of confidence I can do this as easily as the videos portray.

3. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The cheapest I've found is Northern Auto Parts. They sell the Dorman battery with a 3 year warranty for $1450 after core exchange. If you search for a promo code you can get 10% off that so you can get it for just over $1300.

As far as swapping them out, it's easy but be careful and read the instructions carefully.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked the local salvage yards? i would also look at ebay. what about replacing the bad cell(s)? all the best!(y)