1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Replacement and a few other questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by waikelejake, Apr 20, 2012.

1. waikelejake

waikelejake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought my 2009 Prius exactly 2 months ago with 88,000 miles(now 90,000) on it. I was just wondering when the hybrid battery needs to be replaced. I know there are tons of factors that determine when it needs to be replaced, but I didn't know if there was a warning light or something to let me know. Also, is there a way to get the doors to automatically lock when you shift from park or at a certain speed? I'm so used to my Chevy locking and unlocking when I shift it from and to park. Another question: I have a little voice button on my steering wheel, but when I push it, it does nothing. Whats up with that? Thanks for y'alls help!

jake

P.S. I also have a concern. When the gas kicks on, I hear liquid sounds. Is that normal?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, if the hybrid drivetrain (including the traction battery) has a problem, you will see the master warning red triangle light as well as a warning icon appear in the MFD. The warning icon will either be a car with an ! in the middle, or a battery.

2. No, the doors will not automatically lock.

3. The voice button is for Bluetooth equipped Prius with a cellphone and allows you to initiate or answer a call.

4. You may be hearing engine coolant circulating in the heater core. This is not good as that shows air is in the engine coolant system. The air needs to be purged out of the engine coolant.

3. waikelejake

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! Yeah the liquid sounds are worrying me a lot. When I first got the car, I called and tried to explain it to them and they are all like it's normal. You're not used to it because it's your first hybrid. But, Im going to take it up there because it's really bugging me!

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think that the button you're referring to is voice command. If u have Bluetooth (nav) you have voice control. Press it and wait for the beep. Say 72 degrees. It will set your a/c to 72. Warmer and cooler are commands too. They jump 2 degrees at a time. Go home and quick access 1-6 (or 5?) are command along with about 430 other commands.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If the HV battery actually fails, the computers will sense the problem, change its use of the battery to reserve it ONLY for starting the engine and light up the dashboard like a Christmas tree. These batteries usually last more that 8 years and over 100,000 miles (My 2004 battery failed at 195,000 miles) unless the battery is allowed to overheat (high ambient temperature in the cabin or a blocked cooling fan).

There was a kit to add automatic door locks in a Gen2 Prius at elearnaid,com, but it seems to no longer be available.

I'm not sure what "voice" button you have so no help there.

Liquid sloshing could mean that there are air bubbles in the engine cooling loop. Have it checked out before warm weather hits.

JeffD

6. waikelejake

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That would explain it!! I don't have nav xD