1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement in 2024

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chris77*, Jun 17, 2024 at 9:10 PM.

1. Chris77*

Chris77* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius Chat. I have been doing some thinking on what is the best way to replace the hybrid battery. I have a 2006 with 155k miles. Still on the original hybrid battery and running strong. I would just like to know what are the options currently compared with risk and price. My original thoughts were to get an OEM for 2500. Get cells from a gen 4 at about 100k miles for 1000$. I always assume I have the option to sell the battery by itself if car doesn't last. However, I am seeing some options that are way cheaper than both of these options. I am curious what are you guys doing? There are more options out there than ever and I would like to know how much you guys are spending on this repair. TY for your time. Chris

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah like what options are out there that are so worth a second look or a look at all I'm not sure what you're talking about playing whack-a-mole and using your time to pull the battery in and out and play that game if you have no money lots of time and not a lot of work to do then that may be a good option for you. Although you may get nothing fixed you're just playing musical chairs with modules I mean when your flashlight breaks you don't run down to your hobby charger and start cycling and recycling and what have you your d cell batteries so there's always these kinds of things but yet this other kind of battery this is made for you to do this Toyota and engineers thought all you have people are just sit at home with hobby chargers and play these games so they can go to work the next day I don't think so. Somebody just came up with this because of cell phones and how it's done and other items and I don't even know but okay cool. Then there are replacement schemes you can go get something like the project lithium and so on well there's some problems going on over there with that Don't really care about all the ins and outs of that kind of thing would seem to me building a modular battery would be fairly easy but we've turned into bags of lithium stuffed inside a plastic little housings and it doesn't seem like a thing. All of this stuff except the whack-a-mole game is between $1,92,500 generally speaking. During the beginning of the pandemic I bought a brand new Toyota battery from the factory through Toyota at a Toyota dealership for $1,643 somebody just bought one the other day for 1725 or something along those lines That's a far cry from 2500 pretty much any dingbat can put this battery in the car if they have the desire the desire is what's lacking in most people they just want to pay and go if you're willing to spend four or $500 for somebody to put a few bolts down and tighten a few clamps on a big rectangular 84 lb box in the back of your car well then there you go spend the money and don't talk about it because you don't want to do anything. And if you do there's millions of videos these cars are all the same there's no tricks I mean some people watch these videos and thinks people are hiding things and doing all kinds of things to fool them and make their project go wrong I don't know why people think like this but oh well so I'm not sure what all these options are today that weren't around yesterday and year before I don't think there's that many there's a lot of sellers out here that'll blow smoke up your you know what and tell you all kinds of stories do anything they can to get you to spend your money and not read the fine print now there's plenty of that but I'm not going to try to start a primer about that if you haven't figured out what's going on on the internet yet and with other people and sellers and buying and all of that well I don't know maybe you haven't been around long enough yet or that type of stuff's not going to really sink in You don't work in that world I don't know but I didn't know that there was so many options I thought it would be easy at one point for people that are into this electronics and battery building and all of this since the battery is modular anyway 28 modules what have you that somebody could build a larger denser larger MAH all of that same base voltage and get on with it but apparently that's a real problem that nobody wants to do or can't be done or I don't even know or care. But you would think there's a few people that done it a guy in England a guy in Sweden someone somewhere else have made batteries that you can charge up with an outlet and almost makes the car a p h e v almost but those people built very few small systems and so on and I don't know maybe they didn't do what they expected or they weren't able to drive hundreds of miles on electric motors that can't go very fast or whatever the problem is and I don't really know. You know you can buy a Yaris that has no batteries and no electric motors in the transmission and almost gets the mileage of a Prius on a bad day right around close to 40 and have no batteries and nothing to worry with except gas and oil so there is always that option.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh lordy lordy, let's see what we can do with this.

Here's the TL;DR

The text provided discusses various options related to car batteries and the challenges and costs associated with replacing them. It also mentions skepticism about new technologies and the prevalence of misinformation in the market. In summary, the author expresses uncertainty about the available options for car batteries and highlights the complexities and costs involved in their replacement. Additionally, the author mentions the existence of alternative options such as purchasing a car without batteries or electric motors.

Here's the long version.

Yeah, like what options are out there that are so worth a second look or a look at all? I'm not sure what you're talking about – playing whack-a-mole and using your time to pull the battery in and out and play that game. If you have no money, lots of time, and not a lot of work to do, then that may be a good option for you. Although you may get nothing fixed, you're just playing musical chairs with modules. I mean, when your flashlight breaks, you don't run down to your hobby charger and start cycling and recycling and what have you with your D cell batteries.

So, there's always these kinds of things. But yet this other kind of battery, this is made for you to do this? Toyota and engineers thought, "All you have, people are just sitting at home with hobby chargers and playing these games, so they can go to work the next day?" I don't think so. Somebody just came up with this because of cell phones and how it's done and other items, and I don't even know, but okay, cool.

Then there are replacement schemes. You can go get something like the project lithium and so on. Well, there's some problems going on over there with that. Don't really care about all the ins and outs of that kind of thing. It would seem to me building a modular battery would be fairly easy, but we've turned it into bags of lithium stuffed inside plastic little housings, and it doesn't seem like a thing.

All of this stuff, except the whack-a-mole game, is between $1,900 to $2,500 generally speaking. During the beginning of the pandemic, I bought a brand new Toyota battery from the factory through Toyota at a dealership for $1,643. Somebody just bought one the other day for $1,725 or something along those lines. That's a far cry from $2,500. Pretty much any dingbat can put this battery in the car if they have the desire. The desire is what's lacking in most people; they just want to pay and go.

If you're willing to spend $400 or $500 for somebody to put a few bolts down and tighten a few clamps on a big rectangular 84 lb box in the back of your car, well then there you go – spend the money and don't talk about it because you don't want to do anything. And if you do, there are millions of videos, these cars are all the same, and there are no tricks. I mean, some people watch these videos and think people are hiding things and doing all kinds of things to fool them and make their project go wrong. I don't know why people think like this, but oh well.

So, I'm not sure what all these options are today that weren't around yesterday and the year before. I don't think there's that many. There's a lot of sellers out here that'll blow smoke up your, you know what, and tell you all kinds of stories, do anything they can to get you to spend your money and not read the fine print. Now there's plenty of that, but I'm not going to try to start a primer about that.

If you haven't figured out what's going on on the internet yet and with other people and sellers and buying and all of that, well I don't know, maybe you haven't been around long enough yet or that type of stuff's not going to really sink in. You don't work in that world, I don't know. But I didn't know that there were so many options. I thought it would be easy at one point for people that are into this electronics and battery building and all of this since the battery is modular anyway, 28 modules and what have you, that somebody could build a larger, denser, larger MAH, all of that, with the same base voltage and get on with it, but apparently, that's a real problem that nobody wants to do, or can't be done, or I don't even know or care.

But you would think there are a few people who have done it; a guy in England, a guy in Sweden, and someone somewhere else have made batteries that you can charge up with an outlet and almost make the car a PHEV, almost. But those people built very few small systems and so on, and I don't know, maybe they didn't do what they expected, or they weren't able to drive hundreds of miles on electric motors that can't go very fast, or whatever the problem is, and I don't really know.

You know, you can buy a Yaris that has no batteries and no electric motors in the transmission and almost gets the mileage of a Prius on a bad day, right around close to 40, and has no batteries and nothing to worry about except gas and oil, so there is always that option.

Danno5060 likes this.
  4. Chris77*

Chris77* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I should be more specific with specific products. I was always thinking to go with more expensive options new OEM factory battery or salvage cells from a gen 4. Despite PriusChat disdain for 'whack a mole' I see reputable auto parts on ebay with excellent reviews so for one thing there is a lot of people playing 'whack a mole' and giving good reviews for it. There are batteries in salvage yard for 200-500. There are hybrid battery repair shops everywhere. There is refurb shops Green Bean, NexCell, Dorman, Ebay..

There is a major list starting out for a few hundred bucks going up to around 2000 for a brand new oem. I also figure it will depend on where I am at when the car breaks down. If I am remote then I will probably take the best option closest to me and just roll with it for awhile see what happens (if a 200 salvage battery gets me home it's cheaper than a tow).

If it breaks down in the driveway I will have 101 options. I was always going to go new OEM or (replace all cells with gen 4 salvage cells of about 100k miles) but then I thought is this really the most economical for the age and mileage. I think the general consensus from articles I have read on PriusChat is to go new OEM. Could always sell that new OEM later and it would hold value pretty well. Anybody have better idea? Maybe one of the really cheap options?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the possibilty that you won't have to play whack a mole exists, but we can't tell you what the odds are, or which company is better than others.
    certainly, the more time and expertise invested in reconditioning a battery, the better the odds.
    there have been reports here of good results, but these are also whack a mole when taken as a whole.
    you have to decide how much risk vs cost you want to take, and what your strategy will be if you lose.

6. Chris77*

Chris77* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If we don't come down on hybrid battery cost Tombukt2 is buying a Yaris! We can't let this happen....

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a thread or two here on nexcell. they are new lithium cells, but can be potentially problematic from what i've read.
    salvage certainly depends on what you get and if the yard can be trusted on mileage and how long it's been sitting.
    greenbean gets some good reviews, but no way of knowing overall satisfaction.