1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pritchetthead, Apr 9, 2009.

1. pritchetthead

pritchetthead New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a 2001 Prius and was just told the battery needs replacing. I have read conflicting reports on the warranty. Dealer is telling me 100K - 8 year, but have read that if I bought the car in California it is 10 yr -150K miles. Anyone know?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Starting with the second gen (2004+) models, the Prius is a AT-PZEV car, which triggers the longer warranty. The older models are not.

Check around for used batteries. They are probably available and far less expensive than from the dealer. As these cars are in accidents, the used market is getting established.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For an '01, your battery served you well. +1 on looking around other than the dealer for a better price deal. Good Luck.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Just one thing to check... early batteries were the subject of a recall. Was it done on yours? If not, Toyota might cover at least part of the cost under goodwill. That will come from corporate, not the dealer, though, in the form of reimbursement after you pay.