1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery went bad at 80K miles, Toyota USA steps up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbacksfan, Jul 22, 2017.

1. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Two weeks ago the hybrid battery in my 2005 Prius went bad. It had less that 80K miles. Long story, short Toyota USA picked up half the cost of the battery, just under $1300, and I picked up the rest of the bill, $2100.

Actually, I'm pleased with the outcome as corporate stepped up even though the battery was out of warranty due to my car being over 10 years old. It really didn't take any negotiation. I just gave them the VINs of the most recently purchased and currently owned Toyotas. Two days later they called me back with their decision.

Just sharing my experience.

BTW, I'm sending this Prius to my mom in SF. Can anyone recommend an auto transporter?

uart, WilDavis and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and good on toyota!(y)

drysider likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations! It is nice to read something GOOD for a change! Your Mom will love her Prius! :)

4. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. I really hope so. I think I've taken care of other major maintenance this car will need, including the replacement of both cooling systems, the 12 volt battery, and new tires in the past year or so. I decided that with Toyota's help, it was worth investing another $2,100 to replace the HV battery. Otherwise, I was considering parting it out or donating it.

This experience has made me a bit skittish about the longevity of hybrid battery technology in the extreme summer temperatures of Scottsdale, AZ. It's hard on everything, but the HV battery is such a core part of the Prius that I question this practicality of this technology in such a climate. I'm hoping that the moderate climate of SF will enable the care to provide several more yeas of reliable and safe service.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are a couple of tips I've learned:
    Always run the A/C (I have mine on 74° and "Auto" at the moment - 80-90 high humidity here in NE USA) Bear in mind that the cabin air us used to cool the TractionBattery, which likes to be cool!
    Invest in a couple of SunShields (see Ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe) their use will help prevent the build up of the damaging heat when the car is parked in the sun!
    ...er, that's it!
    Good luck!
    Oh yes - and consider investing in a Hybrid Systems Prolong Grid Charging System. Plenty of threads/posts hereabouts discussing the advantages and disadvantages, search is your friend!

Raytheeagle likes this.