1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Won't Charge Pass Halfway Poor MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Vince9022, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Vince9022

Vince9022 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius with 137,000 Miles. I was getting 45-50 MPG then around November/December my mileage dropped to 32-34 MPG. I thought it was cause of winter but here in Louisiana it's 77 degrees today. I changed spark plugs to no effect. I checked 12v aux battery and it tested fine. Where I live they're no hills just road bridges. If I get on the Interstate and drive 65 mph Hybrid Battery drops to 1 purple bar and works harder to go over normal bridges. The MPG drops to about 20-23. The Hybrid Battery never charges more than 4-5 Bars and that's only local driving. I also have a 2005 Prius and the MPG is 42-48 MPG and has closer to 6-7 Bar range. I'm not sure if the Hybrid Battery going out since no Triangle,check Engine light ever came on. A guy at Greentec Auto(Hybrid Battery Replacement) told me maybe it's a dead cell but since it's not throwing a code don't do an expensive replacement without being 100% sure. I'm just afraid to take my car out and get stuck on highway somewhere.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer! If it was mine, I get the HV battery checked out. It does sound like one or more bad cells. But you don't know for sure what's going on till you test it out.

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vince9022 and Deogratias like this.
  4. 07and08prius

07and08prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife's 07 battery was just replaced by Toyota, 2 weeks before the warranty expired. She said her mpg dropped into the low 30s for about two weeks before it threw a code. We've had it back for a week and it drives like new. 1486923731823.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Vince9022 likes this.
  5. Vince9022

Vince9022 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm Still driving mine and avoiding the Interstate because I no power to go 65+ mph. I feel caught in purgatory.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be the perfect time for a grid charger, if you plan to hang onto it. see post #3.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. melshot

melshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok could someone tell me about the grid charger? My 2005 Prius is getting about 42 MPG. I've noticed a big drop in MPG after CO Clean Air emissions made me put a new gas cap on the car just to pass emissions. Could there be a link? The car does have 172,000 on it btw.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The gas cap shouldn't matter, but you can always put back the old one

melshot likes this.
  9. melshot

melshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately I threw it away of course

10. melshot

melshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok tell me. How do you get the HV battery checked out? And I've read on this forum before that you can get your HV battery replaced with a recharged battery (so like a used battery?). How much do those run and how do I find a mechanic that will install it? My regular mechanic won't even change the oil in my car because of the HV battery.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either take it to a Toyota dealer, to a shop that specializes in hybrids, or diy with a mini vcs and techstream software or a wireless obdii reader and Torque Pro (Android) or Engine Link (iOS). There are countless threads here about these tools. I use the Mini VCS and Techstream, but also have Engine Link on my phone for quick & dirty easy stuff. With either of the smartphone options, you'll need to get the PIDs installed, which is a bit of a pain.

I would never take a Prius to a mechanic that doesn't know how to work on them. Actually, I almost never let anyone else mess with my car.

A used, rebuilt battery is way less than a new one, of course. But it is likely to only last a few weeks or months depending on the quality of the parts and the skill & diligence of the rebuilder. The best option, imho, short of a new battery, is a nearly new used battery taken intact from a wreck. My wife's '07 has the cells from a 2015 that have been transplanted into a gen 2 battery case. I bought it all set up and ready to go and replaced it myself. Not hard at all.

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hv battery is a maintenance free item, you don't have to do anything with it. Just drive the car and the car will let you know if there's something wrong in the form of warning lights.

Don't fix it if it's not broken. Many times if you blindly go to shops to fix a non issue, they'll end up breaking your car

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @jeff652 from Hybrid Automotive is quite active here.

This system is their best option, IMHO.

ProlongĀ® Deluxe Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

Here is a less expensive, but more labor intensive option.

ProlongĀ® Value Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

melshot, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.