1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lucalou, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lucalou

lucalou New Member

Hi,Question regarding the hybrid battery and pack, my understanding is that they would be very expensive to replace ie $8000 if neccessery, I assume it is covered under 36 month, 3 year warranty, however please confirm. I also notice that the extended warranty does NOT cover it, is that right and if so is there a way of insuring it?
    Looks like Prius is in my future again! so long as the refi goes through!
    Thanks for your replies :)

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the coverage depends on where you are at. the MINIMUM coverage is 8 years and 100,000 miles.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In CA, it is covered by the emmission warranty, which is 10yr/150K miles.
    While I have no idea how much a new battery costs today, if mine should fail tomorrow, I will go check on eBay for less than $1000. :)

4. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The battery is covered for something like 100,000 miles or 8 years in the US as I recall. I don't have the specifics available right now

5. lucalou

lucalou New Member

Thank you :)

6. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and there is no way the battery could cost more than a couple thousand, even right now. Wherever you heard $8000, well they were totally misinformed or totally wrong.

So far the battery is not an issue. Just check out the Vancouver B.C. taxi company that has many Prii with many miles on them.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I've only heard of one case where a classic battery needed to be replaced due to 'natural causes'. I think the classic had 250K miles. Forum helped her find a used battery from salvage. I think it cost her $1800 for battery, shipping and installation, minus $200 for old battery. Dealer wanted to charge her $6000 installed, reduced it to $4000 when she told them she only wanted one installed, but then reluctantly gave her an install price for the salvage battery.