1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid buyers veer away from expectations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, Nov 21, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I found this in the Chicago Tribune online this morning, thought it had some interesting figures from Autobytel surveys. It turns out that republicans beat the democrats in one category this fall.

Hybrid buyers veer away from expectations

Published November 21, 2006

Many folks assume that the young, well educated and affluent are the ones willing to pay a premium for a hybrid car.

Autobytel, an automotive Web site, assumed just that and conducted a poll among consumers to prove it.

Oh, how reality differs from assumptions.

For example, most hybrid owners live on the West Coast, right? Californians, after all, are always passing legislation demanding that the air be pure and that smokers be chained to bedposts.

Yet only 16 percent of hybrid owners live on the West Coast versus 21 percent in the Midwest and 31 percent in the Northeast.

So Left Coasters fuss loud and long about clean air, yet East Coasters and Midwesterners put their money on the counter.

You'd also assume youth would be attracted to the gas/electric vehicles because they are easily persuaded to join a cause as early adapters, but more important, because they are going to need to breathe a lot longer than older folks.

Indeed, 43 percent of owners are younger than 45. But that means 57 percent are older than 45. Breathing, it seems, remains an issue at any age.

Autobytel also found that while 24.5 percent of hybrid owners have a college degree, 48.5 percent don't. That shoots down the theory that those most concerned with breathing smooth, not chunky, air are highly educated.

Finally, you'd expect those willing to pay premiums for hybrids would be folks with deep pockets. Yet the majority of hybrid owners/shoppers have a household income of less than $60,000, with 35 percent making less than $40,000.

Among other findings, about the same number of males and females own hybrids, same as with gas-driven cars; and 42 percent are ethnic minorities, with African-Americans at 12 percent, Hispanics at 11 percent and Asian-Americans at 10 percent.

For what it's worth, the poll found more Republicans (40 percent) than Democrats (36 percent) have a hybrid--or soon will.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other than living on the west coast, i fit the poll.

1)make no money to speak of.

2)only thing i studied in college was blondes.

3) and yes, me old. well not that old but over 40 for sure

4) being born in Okinawa, i am a minority of sorts and at 42%, its obvious that minorities have taken to hybrids in much greater numbers since they dont represent 42 % of the general population in any area except certain parts of the west coast.

5) i am apolitical, a political agnostic, or something...or maybe, i am just generally unhappy with our political and legal system as a whole so cant comment on the demo-rep thing

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]</div>
    New England here. Check.

(slightly) under 45 here, but I personally know four Prius owners over 45.

Does an associate degree count?

No comment.

Either this poll is saying 42% of ethnic minorities drive hybrids, or 42% of hybrids are owned by ethnic minorities. I highly doubt either of these figures.

Looks like Fred's is going to start to get nastier...

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]</div>
    So PriusChat should have the same proportions, but my impression is that this is not so.

5. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting poll, however, representative only of those who chose to participate and/or knew about the AutoBytel poll.

Southern California-OC/LA area. My personal observation and perception just driving around and Prius owners I have met so far has been, majority over 50 even over 60 have been the early adopters, highly educated, technically minded and mostly Caucasion. For minorities, have seen more Asian, however lately, have been seeing a very slight change in the overall demographic. It will be interesting to see how this demographic evolves.

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]352486[/snapback]</div>
    Very good observation HBO6! I've driven up and down the Sacramento/SF/San Jose corridors and I don't think I've ever seen another African American. So indeed it would be interesting to see the demographics of who took the survey!

Do you recall the priuschat.com average demographic?

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok lets get an ethnic poll going... not sure that we have had one here yet. kinda maybe sorta remember having one, but no idea as to the results

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I guess I fit none of the "standard" hybrid owner traits, according to this poll:

mid-Atlantic
    Female
    Two Bachelor's degrees
    Solidly middle class
    Independent, but swing left

Oh well...I like being non-conformist, anyway.

9. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Senior citizen
    Middle class
    Bohemian
    Midwest (Chgo)
    1 yr. college

10. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Nov 21 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]352498[/snapback]</div>
    Of course Causasian is the majority of the population at large which is another factor. In our local area, I have personally seen 1 African-american Prius and 1 African-american CamyHy, 1 Hispanic-Prius, but could probably estimate 10+ Asian-Prius overall, the rest Causasian, but expect this to change dramatically as it is only recently, that I have observed many more hybrids on our local streets at ALL, in particular Prii, in our area. Good sign, hybrids are becoming mainstream for everyone.

11. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Hm, not sure what this poll means, if anything.

It doesn't really jive with some of the other factoids out there, where, if I remember right, it was SF, LA and DC which had the highest concentration of Priuses. There is no disclosure as to survey methods used, sample size, selection, etc..

At the end, it may simply be an indication who Autobytel's customer is, not who is a likely Prius buyer. Not that it matters, but it just doesn't seem right, after seeing all sorts of other numbers....

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Note that the article said "Hybrid", not "Prius" owners.

Everybody knows that Prius owners are more educated, more affluent, and better looking than drivers of any other car. :lol: Those damn Honda Insight and HCH drivers dragged down the curve.

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 21 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]352718[/snapback]</div>
    I got the only hybrid available on Sept 9, 2000...and ahead of you - I reserve my barbs for those that think it takes 6,000+ pounds to carry one butt or two with dignity.

On a serious side, I've had a hybrid for over six years and have yet to see an African-American hybrid driver in the D/FW area or when I saw 300+ hybrids at HybridFest 2006. :(

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]</div>
    Could it be that 27% of respondents don't know if they have a college degree? Wth? You've got to love "statistics."

I am almost the perfect anti-statistic on this one.
    West Coast
    Under 45
    Degree
    Above $60k household

Guess I bought the wrong car.

15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of the stats might be right on.

HybridFest 2006 was in Madison Wisconsin - where the hybrids per capita is greater than The Bay. Next week Hobbit was at a similar gathering in Mass.

16. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 21 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]352740[/snapback]</div>
    The Caucasion population in Wisconsin 98.8%, even greater than the US as a whole, so the minority stats specific to hybrid owners would not be accurate, as many hybrid owners from other states would not be able to go to Hybridfest.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSA...ph&pgsl=010

17. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 21 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]352469[/snapback]</div>
    Not necesarily. Prius chat is going to be populated by people that want to talk about their cars online. I would guess that most Prius owners just drive them. I would guess that most people that want to talk about their cars would be guys.

18. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Nov 21 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]352498[/snapback]</div>
    You're the one! :p

To be honest, I have not seen many African Americans driving Priuses, but I have seen more than one. You may have been the only male. To qualify my observations, I generally wouldn't give any thought to remembering the race of someone driving another Prius. I see so many Priuses now that I probably pay zero attention to half of them.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True, Wisconsin does not have a large minority population.

I have not really looked hard for Latino hybrid drivers, but in Dallas/Fort Worth you would expect to see them. So far no sightings.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'd call myself a midwesterner... displaced to the east coast, but still a midwesterner :D

DH and i are among the younger prius owners. we're in our mid 20s.

i have multiple college degrees, he's got all his ase certifications...

we certainly do not have deep pockets.

quite a few minorities around here, actually, and it's extremely rare that i see anyone but caucasians in prii...