1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Camry commercial

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 4, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I received this email from Toyota:

What does the future of Hybrid look like?

Toyota is offering you a peek at the all-new 2007 Camry Hybrid commercial, which will air in the first quarter of The Big Game in Detroit this Sunday.

This unique spot features a hybrid approach with English and Spanish to demonstrate the Camry Hybrid's use of gas and electricity. It also carries a cross-cultural message: that parents act to improve their children's future.

Introducing the unbelievable new Camry Hybrid.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/superbowl/index.html

--------------

I was curious if anyone else received it and what you think...

I want to see it during the Superbowl. It seemed sooo short!!!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very nice. My first XL Superbowl commercial.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is the third thread on this ad lol.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but it is the first I think I've seen here. I've been busy for a number of days and am just catching up.

I saw the ad while watching the poor call at the Super Bowl. To be honest, the Camry ad was just as bland as the car atempts to be. As glad I am that Toyota is hybridizing the Camry, the ad didn't have the pizzaz that last year's Super Bowl ad for the Prius had.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a nice comercial and start to express that hybrids are just not for "extreme" cars like the prius anymore. This is a good thing! I want the world to know that I'm driving a hybrid as it's a statement for me so I like the different looks of the Prius, but i think it's important the hybrids come in the disguise of everyday cars as well so that other people (the majority) can just adopt it when buying a new family car without having to make a statement.

I think this strategy will work. I'm not sure that the strategy of rx400h or performace hybrids will work... I'm still waiting for a reasonable lexys hybrid... that would be cool!

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought the ad was a bit too boring as well. I guess it could stand out for that reason but hopefully they will be adding more informative and interesting ads in the future

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the thing. Super Bowl ads are terribly expensive and this is the ad that Toyota ran with all that money. I won't give a lot of thumbs up to the SuperBowl ads this year. Most of them were for beer and cell phones, and most of them were pretty dull, the Toyota ads included.

Last year, having the Prius weave in and out of traffic which was not moving, but was turning its wheels was creative, eye catching, metaphorical, etc. Everything a good, serious ad should be. However the message of the Camry Hybrid ad was nice, but the implementation wasn't so good, and that SOC they showed on the Camry MFD seemed a little low to me.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stealthing, my man. Stealthing. B)

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

There were many layers to that Toyota commerical. I wonder how much it will be shown ..

[ICE is old world, HSD is AMERICAN == enlightened future] was pretty blunt.

My foreign born wife watched it through the internet. The first time she thought it was boring, the second time she developed a frown and watched it again. Then she declared it brilliant but unpleasant, although she was unable to articulate why. I think she felt a draft of not xenophobia per se, but the call of the great white american melting pot in it's two faced splendor. She also had a moment that she felt like crying, and so did I. Neither of us know why.

Republicans will tend to like this commercial. The target audience was not the European Dad driving; it was the child now grown up.

Very un-toyota like to be so invasive into the fractured american cultural psyche. They usually just make do with equating Toyota with middle class values. The commerical made me think of 1984 Macintosh commerical. More subdued for sure, but perhaps no less fractious.

10. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I felt that it could have been perceived as culturally insensitive. The father hinted that by leanring English, his son would have a better life. Now, there are some out there that would turn that around claiming that if dad hadn't learned English, his son wouldn't have had a better life.

11. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyid.asp?id=27767

"Among Hispanics, Toyota is the No. 1 selling brand and Camry is the No.3 selling model, she said. Toyota, wanting to maintain those numbers, paid around $2.5 million for the 30-second spot."

An article from Hispanic Business discussing the Camry Hybrid commerical and how it was developed.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

What upset me was "2007 Hybrid Camry, available spring 2006...HAH, a 2006 is a 2006.

13. jeneric

jeneric New Member

So they passed on a child relating it to their parent becoming bisexual? Or is that one soon to come?

I'm also wondering about continuing on with showing the H3's monster parents being so proud of all he's doing to destroy the cities as well.