1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Car Research Project

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mean Green JC, May 7, 2007.

1. Mean Green JC

Mean Green JC New Member

I am a student at the University of North Texas and I'm investigating why people buy hybrid cars for one of my marketing classes. If you all could answer a few short questions about hybrid cars and why you buy them, it would help my class understand why they are so important.

1.What are you really buying when you buy a Hybrid?

2. What type of person buys a Hybrid?

3. What influences someone to buy a Hybrid?

4. Did you buy a Hybrid to make a "difference"? If so what difference are you making?

Thank you for your time, your answers will help my project immensely.

-JC

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

If you are referring the the Prius and not just any generic hybrid:
    Good mileage. Low emissions. High Technology. Great workmanship.

Homo Sapian.

What influences a persons to buy a laptop or a pillow top mattress or a microwave convection oven?

4. Did you buy a Hybrid to make a "difference"? If so what difference are you making?

Not entirely. I bought a Toyota Prius because it had the highest fuel economy except for the Honda Insight. The Insight seated two and the Prius seated five. The Prius had an automatic transmission. The Prius had low emissions. The Prius had a tax rebate. The Prius was built by Toyota (quality workmanship) and the hybrid system is warranteed for 10 years or 150,000 miles. The car sat well and did not hurt my back. The Prius cost about the same as my 1996 Saturn SC2 coupe so the price was right. The Prius was about the same size as my Saturn, but got twice the fuel economy. The ride is the smoothest I've ever driven. And a perk after the fact is that the MFD helps me to relax while I drive.

With the recognition of global warming and the role cars contribute to that, my car is contributing much less than other cars and is makes more efficient use of a vanishing resource...oil. My car is also a stepping stone to further technology. EVs will develop from hybrid technology as will cars using alternate exotic fuels....like hydrogen.

I really don't think this is of much statistical use. You've come to a forum where everyone owns a Prius and likes it so much that they are members here. You haven't asked any information to provide a demographic.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green JC @ May 7 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]437219[/snapback]</div>
    What Godiva said. You can't lump all hybrids together. I got a Prius for the reasons she mentioned.

Intelligent, not afraid of change, and stunningly sexy.

I've always bought cars that get great MPG as long as they were well designed. Not only does the Prius get the best MPG of any mainstream car, it also is the best-designed.

No, but that fact that it us Partial Zero Emissions was a big plus. The difference: I'm putting less crap in the air.

4. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green JC @ May 7 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]437219[/snapback]</div>
    1. You're buying into the future - into advanced technology that changes the perceptions of those that buy it - one person at a time. Take me, for example: for a very long time I didn't buy into hybrid technology. I refused to believe it. Even as oil prices continued to rise I still refused to believe that hybrid technology was really the way to go. I felt that the technology was all wrong, that it was really cheating your way to better fuel economy. I was completely wrong in my view. After swallowing my pride and buying one, I have come to the conclusion that hybrid technology is really the means through which we'll see change come about in the realm of automotive technology.

2. Well, I'm a middle-class worker - enlisted Navy to be exact - and I'm a red-blooded American. I firmly believe in God, love Jesus Christ. I'm also a patriot - I love this country and I want to do anything I can to support her - including helping to free her from foreign oil by buying a fuel-efficient car.

3. The biggest factor that influenced my decision to buy the hybrid was the rising cost of gasoline, with no immediate solution in sight - save the Toyota Prius hybrid.

4. Initially, the only difference I could see with the Prius was the difference in the gasoline bill at the end of the month. However, the more I thought about it later on, the more I realized that this car not only helps my wallet, but also helps to preserve the environment, helps free us from foreign oil dependence, and also helps automotive technology to move forward.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We get questions like this with some regularity. If we give you data, will you share your report or a citation to its publication? What confidence can you give us that your research is legitimate? Our collective time is at least as valuable as yours.

You could set this up as a multi-part poll and get much of your tabulation done for you by the site.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 7 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]437298[/snapback]</div>
    What Stev0 said.

7. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Well a PRIUS happens to be the ultimately designed car. cutting edge technology, the best fuel economy in its class, low to no emissions, a quiet car, and a safe car. It's the ultimate car.

I was 20, with a crappy job and great credit...that's who. Now I'm 22 and sell them!

I needed a new car, and wanted one since they debuted in America. I finally got one the day before my 21st birthday because my Volvo died (I know that's a shocker).

A difference on my wallet, that's for sure. Ummm....I hate going to the gas station, this car minimizes that problem.

8. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green JC @ May 7 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]437219[/snapback]</div>

9. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

A cutting-edge vehicle that makes the most of today's technology, and has more personality than most of the cookie-cutter cars on the road.

All kinds. The granola-eating sappy liberal stereotype is a myth. I am a married, childless, middle-aged guy, moderate income, politically independent.

The same things that influence them to by most any other car. I bought the Prius because it is in my price range, it does what I need in a car and does it reliably, and it appeals to me.

No! See answer to number 3. The fact that the car will allow me to consume less oil and create less smog is certainly a plus and does add a lot to the car's appeal.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP is still at one post with no further comment.

11. micksimon

micksimon New Member

I'll answer IF you promise me that you'll have a Whataburger (#1 with cheese and jalapenos) for me today. I relocated to Charlotte from Dallas and there are no Whataburgers!

1. We're buying very advanced technology in a solid, reliable car. We're buying high mileage with low emissions.

2. All types, though the "typical" buyer is male, 50ish and educated. If you spend any time at all in this forum you'll see that there is no "type".

3. In my case I was passed by a Prius on my way back from Raleigh, and having another 1 1/2 of driving ahead I started thinking of the economics of a Prius purchase. I'd spent upwards of $5000 in repairs to my '02 Passat in the past year and my tranny had started slipping. I'm reimbursed 44.5 cents/mile. I drive about 25,000 miles per year for work. That works out to about $927 per month reimbursement. At $3.00/gallon gas costs me $125. I have a 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Do the math and you'll see I'm making money on my way to work. $927 makes my car payment, pays for gas, oil changes and much more.

4. I too look at it as voting with my dollars. If my purchase influences anyone else to buy one then we're that much closer to getting away from our oil habit.

Don't forget the jalapenos!

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The term hybrid covers too large a field to answer your questions. If you want reasonable answers, you will need to specify a model, or at least a type, such as mild or full, high efficiency or performance.

Tom

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An excuse to generate lots of webpages!
    _H*

14. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

60 mpg baby!

60 year old semi-retired male who always drove a pickup truck.

$55 to fill up the pickup and I realized I haven't hauled anything in months.

Yes! In my wallet and in the environment.