1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Car Solutions, Miami Fl

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by iroc34a, Nov 9, 2012.

1. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey, new to this site. Gonna need some CVT work it looks like. From what I`ve learned on here its the burned out windings in the trans. ( Car stutters at start up, still stays running Only code is a 0131 O2 sensor. But it been on a while now. Stutter just started this morning. 2003 Gen 1 174,000 miles. Everything original. But the usual wear items. Car has been fantastic. Any ways , living in Miami now. Only independant shop I could find is Hybrid Car Solutions. Has any one one here used them or heard anything about them. Or I need a place to take it to. Thanks, Rocco

2. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, never mind. I drove the car to work last night and pulled the codes. Had a 0302 (misfire cyl 2). And the original O2 code was gone? So I pulled number 2, It didnt look that bad.BUT THEY WERE PLATINUMS !
    So I swapped it with number 1. Cleared the codes . within a few seconds check engine light comes back on. And running worse then before. Now codes 300, 301, & 304..... Went and got some NGK Iridiums. Car idles and drives better then ever,,, Been a mechanic for a long time. And I have never seen an engine run so good, Got 46.2 mpg from that last tank( best it has ever gotten) to running so bad.Pulled in for gas, shut it off , on restart, all hell brakes loose. I would of bet the farm on the burnt windings..

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't bet the farm just yet. Can you be more specific as to what "all hell braking loose" means?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is mellor's automotive in central Fl which has given good service to other PCers. You should also listen to Avi, but he is in southern CA.

JeffD

5. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I drove the car from work in the morning straight to the gas station car was running great. Like i said best avg mpg i have ever seen on this one. Right when i started it back up. It was shaking so bad , almost trying to move . Like the trans wasn't quite in park. This has never happened before. Not even with all the bells and whistles going off. So i check all the usuals , fluids look for i take leaks. I figured something had to come off. , a vacuum line. An unplugged sensor. Everything looks normal. I fire it back up and same thing. When i put it in gear, it was less violent. Also something was rattling underneath , sure sounded lkke it was in the trans. Drove it home slowly. Car drove ok while moving. The display was showing odd patterns of charging , flowing from the battery even while slowing down. Then it jerked a little and felt as if it finally disengaged from the from being locked up. Engine shut off lkke normal at a red light. Started back up as i drove. But still felt a shaking while under acceleration and under regenerative braking. Putting it in B actually seemed to help. Battry charged all the way up. It was reallly the shaking and the noise from underneath that threw me. Sure sounded like the cvt was rattling . After the new plugs it runs very good and quite. Plus no codes . Not even the original. O 2. This car has had all the normal service done bh Toyota. But if there are other things i need to look out for , let me know. Thanks.

6. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I also looked into Mellors automotive. Its like a 2 hr drive for me. At that point i sure didnt think the car would make it. Very surprised at how bad it was running. That one or two spark plugs took a crap at the same time. I ve seen a lot of engines run with a miss. But never as bad as this was. The shaking was really bad. Had to be 2 plugs not firing. But i checked with an inline spark checker , all the coils were firing. Just a coincidence. ? Wont use platinum plugs any more.

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would start with a set of Denso SK16R11 spark plugs. Those are what the car came with. Do you have any codes from the latest event? The common stator problem (MG2) should not cause shaking while the car is not moving. From what you described in the the latest event, including the fact you were able to drive home, I don't feel you have a transaxle issue. At this point a bad coil, or water getting into the spark plug tubes would be more likely.

8. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oh yeah, well today i installed the NGK iridiums. All i could get at the local parts supply. Car is running prefect. No check engine light. Not even the original O 2 code ?. Going back in for the night shift right now. So we will see. I will post up tonight on break.

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What part number were the NGKs you put in? What did you put in before?

10. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    NGK BKR5EIX-11. Had Bosch platinums in. Car is running really well. No cel at all. Could of been why the O2 code went off in the first place.

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IFRT11 would be the NGK equivalent to Denso SK16R11 and the ideal NGK plug to use, however, as you have found out they work fine. One of the differences is IFRT11 is a longer lasting plug while BKR5EIX-11 is a performance plug. At this point, I recommend you leave the BKR5EIX-11s in but check the gap in 30K miles and replace them if they are worn.

As for the Bosch plugs this thread says it all.

Avi

12. iroc34a

iroc34a New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Amazing , I had used Bosch plugs in a lot of cars before. Never had an issue. But these didnt last 30k miles. Next time I will install the Denso plugs. Thanks for all the insight. I am a member of a couple of Ford Focus websites. These sites are a valuable tool. Been wrenching for over 30 years. Mostly heavy equipment for a major airline. Lets just say the technology has passed us by. We work on old junk.I learn something new every day. Thanks again