1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Civic most efficient vehicle - I don't think so

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In an article posted today, CNN/Money reported that the Civic hybrid got better mileage than the Prius. I think the author made a mistake. I think he was talking about the Insight instead. Here is the quote:

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Honda's gas-electric hybrid version of the Civic edged out the Toyota hybrid Prius for the most fuel-efficient vehicle, according to the government mileage readings, while the Dodge Ram pickup was measured as the worst gas guzzler.

The mileage readings from the Environmental Protection Agency says that the manual transmission version of the hybrid Civic could get 61 miles per gallon in city driving and 66 mpg on the highway, compared to 60 mpg in the city and 51 mpg on the highway for the Prius, which is unusual for getting better city mileage due to its greater reliance on its electric motor during stop-and-go driving.

Read entire aricle by clicking this link.

2. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: -------------That is flyingprius reconsidering his stance on firearms!!!
    I can understand if some slob on an msn.com or edmunds.com forum completely confuses two cars, but cnn-money paid someone to write that article! They should be ashamed of themselves! Like usual when I see some idiotic piece of literature about the Prius on the internet, I contact the author or website and in high detail tell them how little they know and that usually fixes it! Unfortunately, I have to subscribe to that crappy magazine just to tell them that they are talking about the wrong car!!!
    About another one of those emoticons.... :guns: :guns: :guns: .... Maybe the reason we as Prius owners have to fight so many misconceptions and misprove so many stupid "facts" is that the average joe will come across something like that and say, "but I read it on cnnmoney.com--- I think you're just biased". Has anyone been successful in pointing out cnn-money's stupid error?

3. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did write CNN/Money already this morning from the form on their website. What are the chances of getting a response you think?

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Jeff, you should have asked them to send the reporter to cover the war in Iraq if they can't do any better at gathering infromation than that. CNN and FOX are about as useless at providing accurate and unbias information as a dog is at finding oil wells.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually, it is a mis-print... i saw the report on TV and it was the Insight quoted at 61/66.

i think the article was nevertheless pathetic. it mentions a 2 seater but failed to mention the Prius which by ALL measures, is in a different class than the Insight. the Insight isnt even a true hybrid.

6. DanH

DanH New Member

It looks like they straightened it out now.

Thinking in terms of a more fair comparison... it does make me wonder what kind of MPG would a car with the Insight's size and body technology get with Toyota's HSD under the hood? An easy 70 MPG?

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... actually had a discussion with a very bright individual about exactly that a few months back. he based his solely on the weight ratios and expected differences in "dumbing" down the insight since he thought it impractical to have that powerful of an engine in the insight.

but he was guessing about 75-80 mpg.... he also based it on using stats from the civic and its differences with the Prius since it is much more in line with performance and size.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Insight had an automatic, it's less efficient than the Prius, so the Prius has one up over the Insight. Also the Insight (in Canada at least) doesn't come with cruise control because apparently it hurts the fuel consumption

R190 ###

2005 Model Year Fuel Economy Leaders

MPG
    Rank Manufacturer/Model city/highway

1. Honda Insight (hybrid-electric, manual) 61/66

2. Toyota Prius (hybrid-electric) 60/51

3. Honda Insight (hybrid-electric, automatic) 57/56

4. Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic, lean burn) 48/47

5. Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic) 47/48

6. Honda Civic Hybrid (manual, lean burn) 46/51

7. Honda Civic Hybrid (manual) 45/51

8. Volkswagen New Beetle/Golf/Jetta (diesel, manual) 38/46

9. Volkswagen Jetta Wagon (diesel, manual) 36/47

10. Honda Civic (manual) 36/44

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm according to your figures how can the Prius (60/51- 55.5)be ranked ahead of the insight automatic (57/56- 56.5) ??

10. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CNN/Money did put a correction on the bottom of the page page in question. It said:

CORRECTION

The original version of this article got the name of the Honda vehicle at top of the fuel efficiency list wrong. CNN/Money regrets the error.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"44162)</div>
    Well, for one thing, this isn't my list lol..
    This is the source:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2004/.../07/246959.html

Secondly, is it really the average of the two numbers - city and hwy? I thought there was a different method/formula

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm maybe it is... but all i ever remember seeing always averaged the two... but i do tend to remember things the way i want to remember them...lol...