1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid controlling unit overheat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by youzigo, Aug 8, 2010.

1. youzigo

youzigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear all:

My friend bought a Prius III last year. Today he drove his family, 4 adults and 2 children in total, going up a mountain. The journey was about 39 kilometers, and he drove in “power” mode in the last 10 kilometers. However, just before they arrived at their destination in 500 meters, their Prius refused to move, and the dashboard showed that “the hybrid system is overheated”. 3 minutes later, the warning disappeared and they moved toward their goal once again. While they almost got arrived at the parking lot, the problem occurred again.

Fortunately, they eventually arrived at the destination and they did not encounter the same trouble during their way home.

My friend told me that the cooling water of hybrid controlling unit is full, and the HSD battery blowhole in the backseat was not obstructed by passengers or staffs. He posted this unpleasant experience in a Prius Club in Taiwan but nobody could tell how this could happen. Is anyone here would suggest that what parts should we look over, in what situation this problem might appear, and how to keep off such problem?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inverter cooling water pump failure?

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Six people total? Is it possible that they exceeded the carrying capacity of the car? I think that is like 800 pounds.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask him to pull the code(s).

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't care what they say - they blocked the vent hole!

And did I read it right? 4 adults and 2 children? Hmmmm

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That's my thought as well. If they didn't exceed the weight limit, they probably were really close. All that and going up a mountain - Hybrid system overheat shouldn't come as a shock...

7. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    was he grillblocking in any way?

8. youzigo

youzigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. One of the two children is 5 years old, and the other is just two. Prius is capable of carrying 5 adults, so I think they did not exceed the weight limit.

2. My friend said that no sooner had the warning appeared then he immedeately turned his head and inspected whether or not the HSD vent was blocked, and he found that the blowhole was unobstructed.

3. The Chinese manual says that obstructing the blowhole would cause the HSD battery to be overheated, thus reduce its output. However, the manual does not mention that it may cause the hybrid controlling unit to be overheated.

4. The manual says that the cooling water of hybrid controlling unit should be examined if this warning appears. But the car's cooling water is full.

5. One of the member of the Prius Club in Taiwan said that his Prius II has suffered similar problem before: the HSD system would be overheated while go mountain climbing, but it could work smoothly in general use. Finally he found out that the problem was the cooling water pump failure, as Firepa said.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you pull the code with an OBDII reader, you'll be able to pinpoint the cause. There is no need to guess.

10. youzigo

youzigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend drove back to Toyota yesterday, but the maintenance staff told him that there was no problem......

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Were the radiator fans running when they stopped? Are both the engine coolant (back left under the hood) and the power control unit coolant (back mostly right) tanks full? What was the weather like? How about traffic conditions and driving style (eg lots of acceleration, or constant speed)? Was the air conditioning running?

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting insight into what is and isn't acceptable in other countries.

In the UK you would be in serious trouble if you carry more passengers than seat belts and children must be in a suitable booster seat for their age. You would also invalidate your insurance which would then land you in more bother. When I was a kid in the 1970's we'd overload a car with passengers but it's a serious no no now.

13. youzigo

youzigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. The Chinese manual says that the driver should examine the radiator fans and the coolant. My friend just said that they were both ok, but I can not confirm whether or not the cooling fans was working correctly in that moment.

2. Both of the engine coolant and the power control unit coolant tanks were full. The car just received a regular maintenance on August 6th.

3. It rained a little on the mountain. And the temperature was 32(flat) to 27(mountain) degrees centigrade. Both of the headlights and the air conditioner were on. The traffic was not that heavy, but while climbing toward the mountaintop, my friend encountered a traffic control. After idling for 5 minutes, the HSD battery ran out of power, and he turned the power off. When the traffic control finished, he restarted the car, turned on the air conditioner and headlights, then drove toward his goal once again. This time after he drove about 1~2 kilometers, the problem occurred.

4. My friend drove his Prius to Toyota today. The technician connected the OBU to a computer, but it did not show any error code. Besides, the inverter cooling water pump was assured being alright too. So the members of the Prius Club are confused that how could this problem burst.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would suggest that your friend buy a Scan Gauge II which will allow him to monitor the ICE and inverter coolant temperatures as well as inverter 1 & 2 temperatures, MG1 & 2 temperatures, and a lot of other parameters.

This thread is pretty long but all of the scan gauge information is in there somewhere: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...discussion/64406-scangaugeii-work-2010-a.html

The setup parameters for the xgauge (extra gauges that can be user programmed) are on this spread sheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiHL0r_2nhUEdF9lVVBxOVNoN3Zva3E0NmdZTUR1eVE&hl=en#gid=5