1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid cousins: the TS030 Le Mans prototype and my Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Christopher O'Brien, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As a hard-core environmentalist, ex-racing driver (Formulas 3 and Atlantic in the early '70s), and passionate motor racing enthusiast, I am very excited about Toyota running a team of TS030 hybrid prototypes in the World Endurance Championship TOYOTA Racing - FIA World Endurance Championship Team.

As many of you likely know, the cars made their debut at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June, and to mark the first ever running of hybrid cars at Le Mans, the honour of waving the starting flag was given to Toyota’s Vice Chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, considered to be the father of the Prius. As the owner of a 2008 Prius, I was very proud, and I was even prouder last weekend when a TS030 came second at the 6 Hours of Silverstone.

Even though the TS030 is an outright racing car, its hybrid drive system (other than having a capacitor instead of a battery) is pretty much the same as the one in the Prius, and it’s good to know that Toyota will be using what it learns on the track to improve its road car hybrid technology. While watching this video
    with scenes of the TS030 leaving and returning to the pits under electric power during testing earlier this year, I couldn’t help thinking, “hey, that’s just like my Prius!”

Unfortunately, some people (like Top Gear’s Jeremy Clarkson!) think the Prius is a dull, geeky, elitist, holier-than-thou car for self-righteous enviro-nerds and Hollywood greenies, and one car reviewer even said it looks like an iron! Other people, however (like me!), think the Prius is actually a very attractive car and not at all dull and geeky, which brings me to to the reason for this post.

Frankly, I’m sick and tired of people putting the Prius down and not giving it proper respect, and as I’ve just ordered a 2013 Plug-in, I’ve been thinking about what I can do to the car to make it even more attractive, give it a bit of pizzaz, make it more intriguing etc., and thereby get people to see the Prius in a different light.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking at various mods available for the Gen III Prius, and there’s a lot of good stuff out there in the way of wheels, aero kits, suspension mods etc. But what I’d really like to do (and I know it sounds crazy) is somehow reflect in my Plug-in some of the look and excitement and spirit of the Prius’s racing cousin, the TS030. This would, I hope, not only make my own car more interesting and attractive, but also get people thinking about the Prius’s connection to its cutting-edge racing relative (something Toyota itself seems strangely reluctant to do).

Of course, I don’t want to overdo it, but on the other hand I do want to get people’s attention with a Prius that is eye-catching, elegant, cool, maybe even a little bit racy-looking, and get them thinking completely differently about this great car.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
    Chris

ericw28 likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  3. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I'd certainly get some attention if my Plug-in looked like that! Maybe a bit too Boy Racerish for my taste though. :)

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... Here's 7 ideas for each and a bonus photo idea!

Exterior:
    1) Lower it an inch,
    2) Raise underside clearance by an inch and add Belly Pan as nice as the ones you see on most Ferraris
    3) Instead of bulky aero kits how about fabricating more subtle, more minimalist aero gear that makes the car look more clean and more sharp instead of the usual obesity that most kits tend to do?
    4) Carbon fiber or vinyl-covered hood, carbon fiber wrapped wing, (keep wing size as is!!!) black vinyl-covered roof
    5) De-badge
    6) convert all light to ultra low-power LEDs
    7) Solve riddle of moondisks... Can they somehow be painted so car doesn't look stupid?

Interior:
    1) Interior after you're done sound dampening the interior can be made way more spacious by moving/minimizing/eliminating armrests & controls
    2) Get a Pushbutton gear shift and mount it back on dash where it belongs
    3) Replace center console with upholstery covered foam in whatever shape makes the car look bigger and more luxurious on the inside. (plastic box interior look kinda ghetto)
    4) Make Dash look more like Gen2
    5) Integrate into the dash removable Tablet computer connected to OBDII Bluetooth w/torque and others apps, ScanGuage2, etc (ex: see Tesla Screen design)
    6) DVD players and headphone for passengers
    7) Mifi hotspot integration for web and phone

Attached Files:

5. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, PC, you've solved it all for me! :) I think the TS030 would look fantastic pasted on the side of my PiP. I certainly like your low-fat, minimalist approach for the exterior, although I'm not exactly sure what the moon disk riddle reference is all about (remember, I'm a newb here).

As for your suggestions for the interior, I'm still trying to visualize them :eek:, but how about the interior of this Prius: Rodney esteban toyota prius | Models In The Trunk :)

Chris

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just changing my options (forgot to check the "and receive email notifications" box)

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Perhaps we can ask for a TS030 sounds replacement for the Prius' startup/slow speed pedestrian warning "Artificial Engine Sound".

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you just add the model into the passenger seat and your set. Probably takes care of the budget as well.

[​IMG]

9. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    An excellent idea, Air_Boss! The Plug-in will need it even more than the non-plug-in Prius. Wouldn't want to knock down any little old ladies!

Actually, I'm a sim-racer (here I am in action:
    ) and I've wondered for years if it would be possible to use the sound generation part of sim-racing software to play an exhaust sound of one's choice out of hidden speakers mounted at the back of the car. I assume it would be fairly straightforward to program the sound software to "shift" up or down at certain speeds to overcome the fact that, of course, the Prius CVT doesn't shift at all.

What fun it would be, and no more worries about those little old ladies! :)

10. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, John, I think you're right there. No further interior mods would be needed after that one (except maybe autopilot?). ;)