1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Display Burn in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by p626808, Mar 30, 2011.

1. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Noticed my hybrid display is really starting to burn in with the hybrid display indicators and the LKA and DRCC images. It is most noticible when I switch to the consumpsion by the minute display.
    Any thoughts?
    I have the 100K warranty.. was thinking of seeing what the dealer/toyota care has to say about it.

I have 64K on the car right now.

Scott

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius is only a few months in and I'm already seeing it. Oh well...

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't see a hint of burn-in on our V at 17.5K. We have used DRCC & LKA less than 20% of those miles. How many miles do you have on your V and do you use DRCC & LKA most of the time. Keep us posted on what Toyota says regarding replacing your display under warranty.

4. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    isn't the hybrid display LED? if I remember correctly the burn-in was on CRT displays and LED displays do not exhibit this because the burn-in on CRT's was do to the phosphorus coating on the inside of the tube and LED's are light driven

5. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vacuum Fluorescent Displays use phosphors just like plasma screens and CRTs.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    post deleted

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is that what the Multi-Information Display is? I thought it was an LED display but I can't find a reference.

According to some of the flat panel TV forums LCD or LCD/LED displays can suffer image retention but I don't think it is permanent the way image burn on a plasma display could be.

Has anyone noticed if the retained image on the MID screen fades if the DRCC/LKA are left off for a while?

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can show us a pic if you want, but some uneven wear in the screen is normal, mine does it and has since day one. Their was another thread about this and it was concluded that it was normal for the thype of display.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the heads up regarding display burn. I'd love to get an update from you if you take this issue to your local dealer. I've not noticed any image retention, burn or whatever, but I only have low 20K miles.

10. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    HAve not done anything yet.. have 80K now.. will try to get to the dealer soon.

11. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a paragraph from New Car Features TechDoc manual:
    - A Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) which has a stable operating characteristic and emits a very bright light with clear contrast is used to indicate the vehicle speed, fuel, instantaneous fuel consumption, shift position and multi-information display.