1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Display

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Victor Siles, Sep 26, 2024 at 2:08 AM.

1. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My Hybrid Display has gone dark for several months. I found a video on YouTube of a guy replacing it without cracking the plastic that holds the screen with the radio (the middle piece). His screen had no GPS but he said the connectors are there for a GPS. Does anyone know if all the first gen comes with the wiring to plug into a GPS? My Prius does not have GPS on the hybrid screen but I have the buttons that says GPS on the front. I found Hybrid screen for sale on ebay with a GPS. Just wondering since mine did not come with it, will it still work on my Prius?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In the Gen 2 I own several of .you will need the GPS antenna etc . I'm kinda doubting. You have all that in that car 8 could be wrong

3. Victor Siles

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have an antenna on the roof but I think it's only for the radio. I guess I'll have to keep looking for another Hybrid display without gps. Thanks for your response.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not sure you'd need to look at the display You may be able to run the display without the GPS working at all except there'll be a button there for GPS that will confuse people that don't normally drive the car I think in a generation 2 you can even do this without the antenna plugged in which I think is a blue plug and plug in the MSD with the basic power plug the two plugs that are in every car that accepts the MFD doesn't matter if it has GPS or not I've played with this a few times but not in a generation one Mr Lewis here I think Ron Lewis is his name should have an idea about this It would seem to me I would just try to take one and plug it up with all the plugs that fit and the two that are left without something in them will be the antenna and something else but the thing should power up I believe but I'm not sure. And then you have to be extremely careful taking the plastic trim off because if it breaks you're done almost impossible to find

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not sure what you mean by GPS - are you talking about the NAV system? If so, you'd need the ecu that mounts under the passenger seat. But why? the maps are all out of date.

I can't think how the screen makes a difference - I doubt it has any intelligence - just a dumb screen. All the cars have the dash buttons, but without the ECU, you'll get an error message when you push it.

Did the guy in your vid do anything different to get the plastic off without breaking?

6. Victor Siles

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I