1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid DVD with 8.1?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by IDrivePrymaat, Nov 15, 2008.

1. IDrivePrymaat

IDrivePrymaat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can anyone confirm that the new 8.1 Nav DVD can be hybridized with LOADING.KWI from a 4.2 or 5.1 DVD? If so, please state GEN4 or GEN5.

I have followed instructions carefully and generated 3 hybrid DVDs on 3 separate burners that exhibit the same symptom: the hybrid disk loads and shows maps, but trying to search on address or POI does not work. When you press the address or POI button in the destination menu, it beeps but does not move away from the destination menu, and the map for your chosen region disappears. I found a few references to people having this symptom with a 7.1/5.1 hybrid, and who were able to make a succesful hybrid after buying a new DVD burner. I am willing to buy a new Pioneer burner, but would feel better if someone would verify that 8.1 can indeed be successfully hybridized, especially for GEN4. Thanks for any reports.

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You must use Verbatim DVD-R DL, do not use DVD+R DL discs or the POI and other functions will not work. I have made a backup copy of my 7.1 disc and I made many non POI functioning discs before I discovered that there was such a thing as DVD-R DL. It worked perfectly the first time, and therefore, so should your hybrid disc. Reply back with results. Also you must use Verbatim as Toyota drives will not have an easy time reading any other brand. I have a gen 2 system and it works great with verbatim, but is barely functional with other brands. something to do with the coating on the discs.

1 person likes this.
  3. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Really? I have been using Verbatim DVD+R DL, with booktype set to DVD-ROM, burned at 2.4x, as indicated in many threads.

http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/11333-burning-backup-nav-dvd.html#post125171
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/39216-navigation-disk-update-6.html#post558814
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/27441-a-3.html#post363177
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/27441-a-5.html#post372510
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-e...g-backup-copy-2008-nav-disk-2.html#post598112

Is the need for DVD-R DL media new for recent nav versions, or for Gen4 Prii, or something? I'm just surprised after seeing so many recommendations for using Verbatim DVD+R DL.

4. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Let me say first that Verbatim is simply the best brand to use. Our units will read no other kind. When using the DVD-R DL the Booktype is automatically set to DVD-ROM, you do not need to do it no matter what burner you are using. You might get a popup message saying that you cannot set a layer threshold on DVD-R DL, don't worry that is obvious as the threshold is already built into the disc.

The DVD+R DL I used before worked okay, but on long trips over 1 hour in duration, the disc would suddenly go unreadable. This was not fun when I was going to Ocean City, Maryland let me tell you! When I got back I researched and tried DVD-R DL, much harder to find, but the results were dramatic. The load time to find directions, route recalculation and general system responsiveness improved incredibly. Also determining the correct route also improved as I was sometimes getting silly directions to get to the simplest addresses too! And further, no more errors. If you are going to use your unit for long distances, I would suggest using DVD-R DL as it a much more readable format for all generations of nav systems and is not relegated to just a specific generation. They are a bit more costly like $2 more, but is that not worth it over potentially losing your POI in the middle of nowhere? All the best and keep me posted? What generation do you have by the way? Just curious. Mine is a generation 3.

5. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm Gen 4. I'll try the DVD-R DL (what the heck). And you don't need to talk me into Verbatim -- already learned that lesson :)

6. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, I mail-ordered some Verbatim DVD-R DL's and tried 2 burns on different machines, at the lowest speed. One refuses to go lower than 4x and on the other I was able to choose 2.4x. Same result: the system loads and displays maps, but trying to search by address or POI name just leaves me in the destination menu. :(

I'm very interested to hear if anyone has successfully burned a backup or hybridized DVD with 8.1. Especially hybridized. Thanks...

7. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think that LOADING.KWI in 7.1 and newer was changed in a way that the "extra" file on the root of the Disc is required. The 4x/5x LOADING.KWI does not include/use that file and in my thinking does not correctly access the region map data files correctly. Why I think this that, is because this file is the only difference I can see from the 4.2 to 7.x as the file structure and names are the same except for this ONE small File???

I sure wish I had access and knowledge on that darn LOADING.KWI there are a few things I would love to change. Anybody know what lang. this is written in ? My guess is asm. for the processor that is used in the NAV ECU??

for note I have a 2004 that is Gen 4

8. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have the 8.1 DVD? I'm willing to buy it but I want it to have the new I-65 ramps and I-355 extension. If someone would be willing to check for the extension of I-355 between I-80 and I-55 near Joliet, IL I would greatly appreciate it!

Any other ideas on how I could obtain that info?

9. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A