1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Electricss, PHEVs, and EVs are healthy for us

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Calvert, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am an enthusiastic fan of EVs, hybrid electrics, and PHEVs - and I own both a Zenn EV as well as a 2010 Prius. However, it dismays me to see comments repeatedly being published which claim that electric vehicles in large numbers would be more polluting than an equivalent number of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. The basic rationale for this claim is that production of the batteries for the battery packs and then recharging them every day by the owners would result in our coal-fired power plants emitting more CO and other pollutants than the overall numbers of ICE vehicles ever could.

Well, this is just not true. If EVs were to replace ICEs, there would be a drastic reduction in dangerous pollutants.

To see the real story, check out the following link, which contains an article written by Chip Gribben of the Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, D.C.. It is full of factual information backed up by scientific sources such as Scientific American, the California Air Resources Board, and the World Resources Institute.

The link is:
    Electro Automotive: FAQ on Electric Car Efficiency & Pollution