1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Hate in California story on CNN

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JackDodge, Apr 27, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just saw a story on CNN entitled "Hybrid Hate". You may recall a CNN producer posting on PriusChat asking for input on a hybrid hate story in DC that he was looking in to but killed it because he couldn't find anything to support it from us. Well, some other producer at CNN evidently found enough of a story in California to run it. Their Prius driver was one of their legal correspondents. Some moron who owns an Escalade was one of the hybrid haters who seemed to think that because he paid $60,000 for the Escalade that HE was the one who should be allowed to drive in that special lane where Prius drivers "poke along" at the speed limit. Funny though was a woman they interviewed who drives a Hummer who said that she gets egged all the time "probably by environmentalists" :rolleyes:

CNN wanted their story and it looks like they finally got one built up enough to run it.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Must be nice to always know the answer before you ask the question.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 27 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]246121[/snapback]</div>
    (finger to temple)
    "The question is, 'how does CNN create their stories?'"

4. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, the best news advertising can buy.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 27 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]246127[/snapback]</div>
    Lawn care companies could toss weed seeds in to your yard to get you to call the lawn care company. Exterminators could infest your home with pests so that you'll call the exterminator. Burglar alarm companies could get shady looking people to wander around your neighborhood or break in to your house to get you to install a burglar alarm. Politicians plant fear in to your head so that you'll reelect them to protect you from the problems that those fears are aimed at. Why should "news" television shows be any different? Create your market, don't sit around waiting for something to happen.

6. unruhly

unruhly New Member

JackDodge, You forgot my two favorites that have been found to be true...
    Firemen who go around setting fires and,
    Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus software companies sending out SPAM mail and Viruses.

7. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 27 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]246200[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't happen; instead, spammers send out mail pretending to be from anti-spam or anti-virus companies. They're not legitimate.

8. Prakash

Prakash New Member

I think people are just mad at their own driving habits. Successful Prius Drivers drive the way ALL people shoud. We are conscious,much more than other drivers about our habits.

I will drive even slower, and save more gas from this point.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 27 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]246200[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I didn't want to list all of them. Had to give someone else a chance :)

10. tootallrls

tootallrls I have Prius NV

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 27 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]246230[/snapback]</div>
    I find I get more hate looks from the people I pass on the local interstate highway. Seems they can't stand
    being passed by one of these danged electric things at 70+ mph.
    Especially since I'm still getting over 48mpg and they are luck if they're getting 20.
    Kind of brings a tear to my eyes.

11. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 27 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]246112[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, I saw that also. I couldn't believe the Hummer woman who said she'd never drive a Prius, and said it with such disdain.

But then again, I would NEVER drive a Hummer. In the past week, everytime you turn on the TV, there is another story about the Prius and hybrid cars. This will all come to pass in a few days and then it will be onto something else. It's the typical media cycle.

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tootallrls @ Apr 29 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]247378[/snapback]</div>
    I think that it's more fundamental than that. Why would the Prius cause so many people in the U.S. to react so strongly when it only represents 1% of car sales? I believe that a lot of Americans have a deep-seated, almost primordial, hatred for conservation. They hate the idea of saving, of consuming less. It's a concept that threatens unbridled consumption. Back when tree-huggers and our conserving ways were just something to laugh at and make fun of it wasn't a big deal. Things are different now. Now, it's apparent that we were right all along and, worse, that they aren't kings and queens of the road any longer and it drives them nuts. I was told not long ago that a lot of people consider it a status symbol to show how much they can waste; that you're not telling everyone that you're on your way up the ladder unless you're throwing out enough trash every week to fill four trash cans. That driving an Escalade or a Hummer wastes a lot of gasoline and space isn't lost on these people, they relish it. That's one reason why this country is such a mess.

13. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 30 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]247511[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you on this one Jack.

14. Emma

Emma New Member

It's an in-your-face response to the Cheneyesque thinking of "the American way of life is non-negotiable." Prius drivers appear to be negotiating...albeit in a very small way.

It's very similar to the treatment I get from some jackasses when I ride my bike.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Apr 29 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]247415[/snapback]</div>
    I would drive a Hummer, but only if I had a real need for one, and not one of those make-believe wannabe Hummers such as the H2 and H3. The real HMMWV is an amazing piece of engineering, as advanced in its own way as the Prius is in all of the other ways. The HMMWV is meant for off road survey crews, forestry work, the military, and that sort of thing. It sure wasn't meant for hauling the kids to school. The H2 and H3 are just big SUVs dressed up to look like a real Hummer; they lack almost all of the engineering that went into the real item.

Tom

16. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

I think that a lot of really good points are being made on this thread.

"Yea, I saw that also. I couldn't believe the Hummer woman who said she'd never drive a Prius, and said it with such disdain."

Sounds to me like she (or more than likely, her husband) has a lot of money to waste.

CNN butchered the story... GEE...THERE'S A SURPRISE

Let me get this straight. They ACTUALLY used one of their own employees to quote after virtually everyone here told them that the premise of their story was was pure fiction? You have to be kidding, right?

I think a much more interesting and significant story would be someone contacting FOX NEWS and linking them with our CNN related threads.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 27 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]246112[/snapback]</div>
    CNN should do a story on hating hummers. There's more of a demand.

http://www.fuh2.com/

I on the other hand love hummers:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/allens.html

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They'll consume and consume in this "non-negotiable" way of life
    because when the Rapture they're all waiting for comes, it won't
    matter anymore after that, right?
    right?
    ...hello?
    _H*

19. Cameron

Cameron New Member

Do Hummer owners think others admire their car? What good is a status symbol if others don't desire it? I know of one local owner who parks his Hummer on the street where I work. It really stands out. But what I find offensive is his license plate, which reads, “humonitâ€.

20. killian

killian Junior Member