1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid HOV incentives?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 28, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Federal Government made rules to allow states to open up HOV lanes to Hybrid drivers, but many states have not done so.

I have heard arguments that feul economy is not the intended purpose of the HOV lanes. Well then, why are motorcycles allowed? By the time you add following distance in front and behind, the difference in space that a Prius takes is insignificant.

I think that reducing polution is a more substantial reason for HOV lanes.

What do others think?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 28 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]413957[/snapback]</div>
    That was the original intention. To reduce Pollution. It also made sense during the previous gas shortages. Only recently has congestion been an issue and since HOV also addresses that, that has been the focus. Suddenly people thing HOV was all about congestion.

A Prius puts out the same pollution as four cars. So only cars with four passengers should be allowed in the HOV lanes...right? It gets double the mileage of a car, triple of an SUV so....at least 2-3 people per car. Now if it's about congestion we're talking getting cars off the road. That means you can only drive in the HOV lane if your passengers are also licensed drivers who would be driving cars. That means you can't be a Soccer Mom with a van full of kids...kids don't drive and you're not taking any cars off the freeway.

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 29 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]413969[/snapback]</div>
    I think you mean that the other way round. Four Prius's put out the same amount of pollution as a normal car. :)

-Ken

4. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Mar 28 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]413983[/snapback]</div>

Now that made me laugh more than the Lego Thriller Video someone posted.

But I didn't catch it. I knew what Godiva was getting at.

And, A prius probably puts out less polution than one motorcycle.

Motorcycles just make no sense to me, so if I start hearing more "Hybrids shouln't use HOV becuase they do nothing to reduce congestion" then I am going to say "Then don't let motorcycles use the HOV lane either."

There is so much injustice in the world. I just wish it was easy for everyone with a Hybrid to come together with one voice and get reason to prevail.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I'm the only Motorcycle rider on this board.

Motorcycles are allowed into the carpool lane FOR THEIR SAFETY. Especially when there's alot of traffic. If you don't have enough space or your bike is too big to allow to lane split or tuck into the safety of between 2 cars you have to keep moving.

If I'm waiting for the light to change or for traffic to move forward and I'm behind another car, I keep it in gear and with one eye on my mirrors to make sure the guy behind me sees me and is going to stop in time. That's when most accidents happen for a rider, getting smashed between 2 cars while stopped.

I, like any other rider don't like the idea of being killed, or at least severely flattened between 2 bumpers and my bike.

And please, don't give a motorcycle rider crap for lane splitting, it's much safer to be between 2 cars and in front since they can accelerate faster than the cars around him, that speed keeps him upright and stable.

6. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't have a problem with motorcycle riders being in the carpool lane. Does the Prius really put out less pollution than a motorcycle?? We certainly are less in the noise pollution department.

7. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 30 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]415094[/snapback]</div>
    I know for a fact you're not.

I heard the reason they can lane split in California is because they will overheat sitting in traffic. They don't have fans behind their radiators.

8. JOS

JOS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NoMoShocks - It would appear that you are a bit misinformed about just how fuel efficient motorcycles are...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/MotorcycleF...Guide/index.htm

For anyone not wanting to wade thru the info...the "typical" motorcycle gets 50-60 mpg.

Vagabond - You not alone!! LOL

I've been riding motorcycles almost 30 years and work for a major custom motorcycle manufacturer. So, it gets under my skin a bit when people single out or target motorcycles and/or their riders for anything negative. It just kinda baffles me that very few people realize just how "earth-friendly" a motorcycle is.

A few quick points: Motorcycles consume far less materials to produce, yet still yield 50-60 mpg. No vehicle can compete with a motorcycle on the cradle-to-grave argument. A motorcyle occupies a 2/3 less space on the road than any vehicle, less congestion, lower commute times for everyone, saves fuel for everyone. Motorcycles are very lightweight and have only a small contact patch with the pavement (only two tires equals less wear and tear on the road which equates to less tax dollars repairing the roads). I could go on and on...

So, the next time you see a motorcyclist on the road maybe you should thank him/her for doing their part to conserve fuel and resources!

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not mean anything negative toward motorcycles or their riders. I realize that many will get much better gas mileage than a Prius. I think some of the largest motorcycles may get the same or maybe less MPG than the Prius, but that wasn't my point.

Thanks for the education about the problems motorcycles have with constant stop and go traffic conditions. That makes sense to me.

I just think that Prius should equally gain a spot in the car pool lane for feul efficiency and reduced emissions, and Prius drivers have a problem with constant stop and go too.

As far as lane splitting, I guess it makes sense for motorcycle riders to pass between the cars at a reasonable rate for safety sake, but if they are riding dramaticlly faster than traffic, I could look over my sholder to change lanes, and then as I do, the motorcycle appears out of nowhere. Other than that, the only problem is that if they are too noisy and too fast, it scares the crap out of other drivers, and then they don't have a change of underware or handy place to shower or anything. So please practice safe and sane lane splitting.

10. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

It's funny to hear some of the opinions from drivers about motorcycles. It's very true that a lot of people have misconceptions about motorcycles, what's safe and what's not, and don't understand that a motorcycle shouldn't be ridden the same way you drive your car.

I have a Suzuki GSXR, a sportbike, and use it for daily commuting to and from work. I'm going to get a Prius for my wife and as our family car. The Bike gets anywhere from 35 to 50 MPG depending on how you ride it. I usually average about 42 MPG, so it's slightly less than the Prius, but also has about 40 more horsepower than the Prius and only weights 350 pounds. But I agree about motorcycles putting a small environmental strain for the reasons already talked about. I think both the Prius and bikes are good alternatives to conventional vehicles. I just wish drivers were more aware of bikes on the road b/c they often don't see us and that can be dangerous obviosly. Right now I use a headlight modulator which pulses my high beam on and off 160 times a minute to make the bike more visible. The most common motorcycle accident scenario is actually when a driver makes a left turn across a motorcycle's path traveling the other direction. So watch out for us!

As far as emissions go I think the Prius has my bike beat at least. And in terms of MPG there are plenty of smaller displacement bikes out there that will win that comparison.

I know lane splitting is a controversial subject in CA. Some people here open their doors to block a motorcycle from getting past, and sometimes cause an accident if the rider can't stop in time. I know a girl who injured her shoulder when a car did this to her.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Mar 30 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]415190[/snapback]</div>

If a bike as a radiator, it can idle without issue. Really old bikes were air-cooled and thus had to keep moving.

But the reason why it's legal in CA is so the motorcycle CHP'ers can do it. I'm not kidding. But we get ticketed anyway because 'it's legal, but it's not safe'