1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Hype on CNN

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DaveinOlyWA, Sep 3, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I saw a segment on CNN today about the hype surrounding hybrids.

although it was nearly all negative, it did provide some good info.

most of the negativity was aimed at the Honda Civic hybrid and its tested 28 mpg in city driving. there was much said about the overly inflated mileage estimates.

they also mentioned the Prius too but admitted that the Prius was a different kind of hybrid and therefore did much better in the mileage department. and they stated no figures for the Prius except to say that the Prius got 26% less mpg when the temperature was 20º F than it was at 75ºF. this was due to the lower chemical reaction force at the lower temperatures.

that statement kinda made me wonder why toyota didnt add a heater for the battery pack along with the heater for the engine core. i guess there isnt enough cold weather demand yet... i guess we can blame California's mild weather for that eh?

they also said the Prius was selling faster than they could be made while the Hondas were starting to linger at the dealerships.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That comment they supplied about cold weather is quite misleading.

Failing to mention that both traffic conditions and heater use change significantly when it's that cold is just plain wrong, because that's where a lot of the MPG loss comes from. The rest is from the fact that winter-fuel holds less energy and colder air is denser. So naturally winter will be less efficient.

The battery-pack is actually quite responsive during the cold season, it's really just the capacity that gets reduced. But you'll observe increased electrical activity then anyway, since keeping the battery-pack cool is much less of an issue.

Too bad most reports about hybrid MPG don't includes details on the actual performance of traditional vehicles. Cold weather is much harder on them anyway. But then again, if they want to make hybrids look bad or they just don't bother to be objective, that's the data to exclude.

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I think the 26% figure is really wrong. Last winter I averaged 43 mpg and now I'm getting about 49 mpg. I also think I'll do a little better this coming winter because the engine is now broken in. However, it sure beats the 29 mpg my wife gets with her Corolla. The only valid comparison would be for them to run a Prius and a Camry through a city/highway cycle and report the numbers, since they are roughly the same size. HSD would shine brightly.

Honda's mild hybrid system is, at best, a half-hearted attempt. They approached hybrid power from the cheapest direction, much like GM. In the end, the only system that will give all the benefits is a strong hybrid system like the Prius. Not the cheapest but definitely the best. :clap:

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, Honda's goal was to rapidly deliver a hybrid system that could compete with Toyota's. So I give them credit for actually delivering something worthwhile, though obviously having a limited appeal. But then again, they are a tiny automotive company. GM isn't. So there is just plain no excuse that GM is delivering nothing but a traditional vehicle with a 42-volt boost and calling it a hybrid.

Honda also gets credit for admitting their IMA plans need to be re-evaluated after the introduction of the Accord hybrid. They know quite well they need a more competitive hybrid system. That really makes me wonder how the heck Ford figured out they'd need a full design, rather than assist, or "mock".

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    run a corolla and a Prius side by side, the Prius will still shine.

i will be interested in how my mpg is affected in the winter since we rarely reach 20º here. keep in mind that the winter formula gas will yield results that are 7-12% lower depending on your location if all other conditions are equal.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Exactly -- me, too. Ford's the last company (well, the last company with the exception of Morons) I would have thought would have the foresight to do this -- but they did. I need to give them major kudos for that.