1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Only Parking!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ronhowell, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

I was amazed today when visiting one of the new "Fresh & Easy" mini-markets recently established by Tesco, the British supermarket giant, here in Southern California, to see a couple of parking spaces with signs indicating that they were reserved for hybrid vehicles only!

This is the first time I have seen any such hybrid preference at a supermarket. Could this be the start of a trend? If so, how can they enforce it?
    I have to point out that the "Fresh & Easy" stores that Tesco initiated here about 6 months ago, to great fanfare, have been doing a less than a land office business. They are similar in concept to the "Trader Joe" chain, but so far appear to have attracted far less business. So when I visited there was plenty of parking available, making the hybrid preference redundant. Still, it'll be interesting to see if this idea catches on.

ron.

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that would be sweet...i was wishin for this when i got my Prius...drivin my friends around, i'd say "where the hell is the hybrid parking".....their response...."we're not in Hillcrest.." (those of u San Diego folks know what that means) low blow, low blow guys

3. Grunthos

Grunthos Senior Azgoth Poetmaster

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They can only enforce it if the laws in your area allow them to enforce it. (I would tend to guess that there are no such laws.)

4. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm. I was have second thoughts of parking in such a place. I would fear Prius envy. My Prius gets enough scratches on its own. Oh well that is just me. They should have special parking spots reserved for new cars though. :)

5. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my town, Maplewood, New Jersey, hybrids get nice discounts on parking permits.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fry's in my town has two spots reserved for "Electric Vehicle Only". I park my Prius there, as other Prius owners do. But sometimes I see regular cars parked there too. When I asked about it, the management said they couldn't enforce the rule, that the spots were originated by Fry's stores in California and didn't really apply to Texas nohow.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we have a hand full of retailers that have "EV parking" only spots with plug in outlets to boot...

needless to say, i go out of my way to support those retailers...(although ones like Costco i had already shopped at anyway)

8. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ikea Canada has had two "green" parking spaces at each location since 2007.

The press release is here: IKEA | Press Release