1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Parking Spaces

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Angelus, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Angelus

Angelus New Member

So even though I normally take the bus and el, I drove to work in the Loop this morning (leaving town after work and want to miss the traffic) and parked in the ramp next to our building at Monroe/Wacker. Walking to the elevator I noticed this lady backing into a space on the corner right by the elevator. I thought at first it was a Handicapped space since there was a sign on the wall behind it but it actually read "Hybrid Parking Only." She was driving a Subaru crossover SUV - and as we know, they don't make a hybrid - so I waited for her to park and walk over to the elevator before I said anything. I "innocently" asked, "Is that a hybrid?" and she said, "No, but I always park there," and laughed it off.

GRRRRRR…

I held my tongue but what a b***h! Does she park in handicapped spots because she just feels like it?

She was a chubby 40-something lady who dreams she's still got a hot bod. Would have said more to her but you never know who's in the office on Fridays and she could have been some big wig. She took the other elevator wing which houses some big law firm so I don't think she works at my company.

Not sure it would do any good but I'd like to mention it to someone in the building office, just because, you know?

2. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

I would go to the building office management and find out if they plan to enforce it, given that they originally intended for the spot to be marked for a hybrid. If they do, then give them her licence number, and leave it to them to talk to her about it. Chances are though, if they aren't going to ticket, the lazy butt will keep parking there...

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebrattygurl @ Jun 1 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]453300[/snapback]</div>
    There is no way that the police could ticket her, but the owners of the parking area could certainly have the car towed. That is why I think these hybrid parking spaces are a bad idea. If anything, they just perpetuate the "us versus them" opinions about hybrid owners in general.

4. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    damn, they have hybrid only parking in the loop now? cool. but i've found a new love of riding my bicycle to work everyday. needed to shed some pounds. it was effecting my gas mileage...

5. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R1200GS @ Jun 1 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]453341[/snapback]</div>
    Gosh I miss Chicago. I never even had a car there. I used to walk home from work in the loop to my apartment on Webster/Clark during nice weather. Sigh...

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I would get up early just to beat her there and park in that spot do it for a week and she will either stop or start getting to work even earlier, hahah that's just how I am :D

7. jbullard

jbullard New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 1 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]453329[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's really promoting the issue of "us versus them." I see it as an act of corporate social responsibility by IKEA, making a statement in favor of more efficient vehicles. They are promoting the idea and giving incentives to drivers of hybrid vehicles. Perhaps other drivers will see these extraneous benefits of owning a hybrid vehicle and will more seriously consider one for themselves.

Nearly-regardless of the method, the outcome of promoting the use of hybrid vehicles could likely be more drivers of cars with much cleaner emissions, less consumption of oil, and a healthier planet. I think it's a great idea.

8. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've NEVER seen a Hybrid spot! I guess we have too many here. I've only seen the electric charging spots.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well shoot!
    And here I wanted to build up some support and petition Mayor Daley and the city of Chicago to promote hybrid parking spaces. Looks like they beat me to it. Way to go Green City!

As for the tramp in the parking spot. Pictures are always good. Take pictures before you go to the parking lot owners. If the parking lot owners don't do anything, call the police non-emergency number to see if they can do anything. If there's a Facilities Management department at the building, talk to someone and find out whose idea it was and who put the sign up. Whoever thought up the idea surely has some vested personal interest in making sure it is enforced. Oh yeah, as for the pictures, print a really good clear one and stick it on her windshield with the note "copy of photo submitted to the City of Chicago Police Dept." Be sure to circle her license plate.

After you find out that she's not an executive - at least not at your company - and if you're feeling particularly mean, park in front of her to block her in. This works best if you happen to catch her in the car. When she attempts to confront you, get out of your car, lock it and tell her to hold on because the police haven't answered the phone yet. Even if you are not calling the police fake the entire call. Or, if you want, PM me and I"ll give you my cell number and play a role.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Inconsiderate people are a pet peeve of mine. And although I am opposed to giving special privileges to drivers of hybrids (the Prius is its own reward, and beyond the Prius, Civic, and Insight, I don't feel that other hybrids offer enough social benefits to warrant promotion by the government) people taking things they are not entitled to rubs me the wrong way. I'd go to the building managers and demand the car be towed. Unless I thought the woman was hot. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 5 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]456374[/snapback]</div>
    I am so envious! We don't have electric charging spots in Spokane. I don't actually need one, since Yevette goes 45 miles on a charge, and an hour's charging only gives her another 3 miles, but still, it would be cool to have a special spot. -- But I want it way out at the far end of the lot because I like to walk. :)