1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hybrid Pedal-Assist Bike (Elby)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jan 1, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This looks pretty cool.
    Expensive I suppose ($4000 range).

Elby Bike | FAQ

[​IMG]

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, I see they're using the BionX drivetrain. Nice that a manufacturer has decided to incorporate it in a finished product.

BionX has been offering the drivetrain components for several years, if you wanted to build them into your own bike. In my last bike build, I made sure everything would be compatible if I wanted to go that way later (just relacing the back wheel with a BionX hub motor), but so far, it is still just a bike. :)

-Chap

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not a single safety light?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the seat comfortable? is this the only pedal/electric bike on the market?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where this fits in is probably commuting.
    If I ever rode my bike to work I'd be too sweaty so this would help.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too dangerous around here, but it might be nice for long pedals in the country.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are lots of pedal/electric bikes around. The thing BionX was doing that I thought was cool (and I think they were the only ones doing it, at least a few years ago when I was following it), was

• modulating the motor force in proportion to your pedaling force, so, you just select a multiplier, and then it makes you feel that many times stronger than you are. :)
    • regen when slowing or going downhill

The idea of regen on a bike really caught my eye. When you're the one supplying the energy to get up the dumb hill, there's something really attractive about being able to keep some of it when going down the other side!

A couple years ago there was a shop in town here that specialized in electric bikes (other brands, no BionX), and I asked the guy about regen, and none of the bikes he carried had it.

Disclaimer: I've read about the BionX stuff with great interest, but so far I've never had a test ride on any bike with a BionX setup. (Nearest dealer here is about an hour away, a while back I thought about suggesting a bike club field trip, but it never materialized....)

-Chap

bisco likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ridden several ebikes, and the BionX was the one I liked best. That 'multiplier' effect makes you feel like Superman - the harder you pedal, the greater the assistance. And regen is essential to range, making a big difference. Others have features like CVT, which seems weird on a bike, but it's the same concept as applied to cars, and is very smooth. All in all, though, I find I can go further and faster without the burden of motor and batteries. But ebikes aren't built for cyclists - they're electric mopeds. Choosing the right tool for the job is always important.

RCO likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    heck no - there are dozens of manufacturers - even within different contenents. And there are kits, for converting standard bikes. Our Pedego electric is manufactured in Irvine, just down the road maybe 3 miles away at the most. Here's our model - the "comfort cruiser" same olive green frame & tires.
    [​IMG]

comfort - because at my age, the back side no longer has the muscle padding to sit on, that I used to have,in my prime
    ;)

RCO and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, i have the same problem.:oops:

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps there's a shortlist of those with 'limber' gluteus maximus on another forum. Anyway, like you, I don't think I'd qualify for a place on it! :notworthy:

12. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh there's the price $3700 I wait for the reduction, although I suppose that's not actually too bad compared to other top-of-the-line bikes.

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I have the Easy Motion. It is based off a Trek bike. No one would know it is ev unless I tell them.