1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid racing circuit concept

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rybold, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I figured this forum, "other" would be the best to post this in since it is not "News" and it is not "2010 Prius." This thread is just general chat about a concept I thought of.

I think it would be great if one of the major racing organizations (think Toyota/Long Beach Grand Prix) stepped up and created a small "side-show" race for hybrids. All manufacturers of hybrid production vehicles could compete. Here is how it would work: All teams would be given a Finite amount of gasoline, and then it would be a normal race. Whoever gets there first, gets there first. Just like a normal race. Except, if you run out of fuel, you don't finish. Based on results and experience, the quantity of gasoline allotted each team could be reduced each year; thus, innovation and efficiency will be necessary. This will drive manufacturers to make hybrids more efficient, and also more powerful (while operating on a finite quantity of fuel).

This is just a concept, but I think it is quite a great idea. Just sharing. Thank you. :)

(anyone reading this has my full permission to forward and/or reproduce this idea; I don't want credit, I want to see it become a reality)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad but wouldn't that give full hybrids the advantage for the first lap or two (until the battery's drained)? It would also create new strategies though. Should we go with a full tank and go hard or half tank and risk losing time with more pitstops.

A race would also generate ways on recovering energy better (because you'll be doing hard braking during the race, the opportunity for regenerative braking is virtually zero)

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look up "shell eco-marathon".
    _H*

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Give em just enough gas for the distance per the EPA combined.

6. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I first got my new 2004 Prius, I challenged anyone and everyone to a race.
    The rules were simple, we each got 5 gallons and the course was 200 miles.
    For some reason no one took me up one the offer;).