1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid reliability (Toyota vs. Honda)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ghomner, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ghomner

ghomner New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm wondering how reliability shapes up when comparing "full hybrid" vehicles like the Prius versus "partial hybrid" vehicles like the present Honda Civic and upcoming Honda Insight. As I understand it, Honda uses an electric motor to assist a gasoline engine, whereas the Prius can run electric only.

Are the Hondas prone to all the same repair necessities of ICE cars? As I understand the Prius, due to its design its brakes last a lot longer and there is gains in transmission life etc. I read somewhere that Prius does not have alternator belt to replace?

The Prius appears to have better reliability than ICE cars for the most part. I'm assuming Honda Hybrids reliability (e.g., Civic Hybrid) is about the same as ICE or maybe a little better but not as good as the Prius)? Does anybody have details about the tech differences between Prius/Civic and how it relates to reliability?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mkaresh may have enough data at truedelta to address this reliability question.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've started to see reports of a number of CVT failures in the HCH. This is worrisome.

JeffD

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot answer OP's thread, but I sure wish there was Prius design to identify impending inverter pump failure. This seems like one of the few problem areas. Anybody have hints a motivated but mechanically challenged owner like me can pay attention to ?

5. ghomner

ghomner New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What is "HCH"? is this Honda or Toyota?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Honda Civic Hybrid.