1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid split in half longitudinally

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, May 29, 2005.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Toyota is trying to sell more hybrids in Puerto Rico and has started an aggressive promotional campaign. Today I visited the island's largest mall, where they had on display a Prius and two hybrid Highlanders, one of which was cut longitudally in half, showing the internal workings of the hybrid system during stop, start, normal driving, acceleration and deceleration. A couple of observations worth mentioning:

1. The Highlander battery is under the second row of seats.
    2. The 12 volt battery is small and is at the front with the rest of the hybrid system.
    3. Upon start, the electric generator spins with the engine off (like in the Prius) and after about 7 seconds (as in the Prius) the ICE starts. However, in the display a red light inside the cylinders (to indicate fuel burning) comes on as soon as the ICE turns; in other words, there's no spinning with the engine off before fuel ignition. Of course, this may have been done on purpose to simplify things.

The price of the Highlander? I did not not ask, but it looks very expensive.

2. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Jamarimutt, if I recall correctly, the Highlander Hybrid varies in price from $31k for the standard 2wd to close to $40k for the limited edition 4wd.