1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid status screen on LE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by jeremnyc, Oct 28, 2023.

1. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 10' had the old school battery status, instant mpg and 5 min avg. mpg screen as a default.
    The 5G MFS doesn't see to have anything close, is this correct? I can see the historical grand total mpg and a 5 min screen, but I still have never seen a battery status.

I could tell I my battery was fully charged by the whirling sound after a several mile decline, but I wouldn't know otherwise.

Thanks

2. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Energy Monitor, which can be viewed on both the MID and the Multimedia Display, has a visual representation of the traction battery with 8 segments which show the charge level. It's somewhat imprecise but, presumably, each segment represents 12.5% charge.

See pages 102-104 in the main manual.

I suspect that the Prime versions may have a more precise readout.

#2 23PriLE, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    LOL, it would be logical to think that the Prime has more energy details over the standard Prius, but it seems to have even less...o_O

I came across this thread as I was searching and wondering if it is normal that my battery on the Energy Monitor appears simply grey, providing no visual indication at all of the EV or HV battery charge level (unlike prior Prius), which is a bit puzzling. I was actually going to ask if other Prime owners have noticed the same; I am sure it is ‘normal’, but odd.

As much as I love the car, it is strange how fuel economy data seems to be an afterthought in this car, not prominent like it was in previous models… as mentioned, the little green regen leaf cars are gone, the trip meters do not track fuel economy (like my Gen 3, nor monthly fuel economy, etc), and even the trip “history” is extremely limited and doesn’t give any numbers beyond the basic imprecise bar chart, which has to be reset manually. The only measured numerical data is the trip summary which appears for a few seconds when the car is shut off, but after 10 seconds or so, that information appears to be gone… forever, lol.

Even the Toyota app doesn’t provide any more details - the trip data only indicates time / distance and whether you drove “efficiently or not”, qualified simply by how many times you accelerated, cornered, or braked aggressively. Strange design decisions here all around. :unsure:

I wasn’t going to use my ScanGauge in this car as the ancient LCD would look out of place in such a sleek interior, but given the limited “geek data” the car provides, I think I may just mount it again anyway. :whistle:

4. 23PriLE

23PriLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    On my LE I have the MID set up to display fuel economy info on the left side, typically in Tank Average mode. The trip summary appears on the MID whenever I shut off the car and displays the data since the last time the car was started.

The trip summary shown on the MID can be customized to a degree and includes the distance traveled, elapsed time, average speed, % of EV mode use and mpg. I don't know if the same info is available on the multimedia screen. I usually keep the multimedia screen turned off so I'm not as familiar with the bar chart display that can be accessed there. Not sure if it can be set up to record customized trip data.

The trip summary shown on the MID only disappears when I open the door. The car doesn't seem to keep a record of them but I could easily write them down if I wanted. I usually have the radio on when driving and it continues to play after I shut down the engine so maybe that has something to do with the trip summary not disappearing until the door is opened. The radio also turns off when I open the door.